Is there much of a following for Koga Miyata's ?

Maca

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Just asking as I may shortly have a very very mint condition Koga Miyata "Road Winner" frame up for sale. So wanted to get an idea if there is much a following

Not much, but I like mine. Its a road/race type bike with the fittings to take rack and mudguard, an "audax" before its time. I doubt its worth a lot, espeacially as a previous owner covered it in dont-nick-me dulux paint.
Their tourers are supposedly very good indeed but Ive never seen one.

I think the problem is lack of familiarity. People want what they have heard of, wgich is what was publicised and available; a bit like cars, people pay more for a rusty retro fiesta than a perfect reliant convertible.

What are the dimensions, details etc ? Might be worth my while to have yours instead of trying to clean mine up.

The geometry of mine is unusual compared to the mass market in that the top tube / crossbar is shorter than the seat tube. Suits me, especially as Im not 22 any more. Most road bikes are square (equal length) or the top tube is longer. Italan bikes almost always have long tt as many Italians seem to have shorter legs / longer backs than we ingliz do.
So horses for courses.

Re:

They seem to have a bigger following in Holland, so that may be your market.

In terms of name, I think Koga currently sponsor mark beaumont

This is the one I have bought (its not with me yet). The Frame will not be needed.

Its a HardLite FM1 frame and FM2 forks, it says its a 56cm seat tube c-t-t and a 55cm top tube ctc. But I will check this when it arrives.

I don't much about these but its advertised as being equivalent to SLX with ridges on the inside of the tubes.

looks great, I like the colours. May well be interested.
Assume youve bought it for the bits then. I have mostly same bits on my bike. Perhaps we could arrange a bike swap of sorts ? Where are you ? where is the bike ? If not arrived is it near me......
I dont know much about the jap tubing that miyata used. Theres a bit on t nerdweb. will read up tomorrow. Dont even know what my frame is due to the paint, but, from what little use its has with me it seems like a nice bike. SLX > probably not, but decent whatever it is.

Re:

Yes, as mentioned, popular in Holland. The national squad tend to use them more that anything else.

IIRC, Alan Peiper rode them when he was in the Tulip team. Though as I'm going by memory, I may well be wrong :oops:

I cant make out from the pic - are there eyelets etc for mudguards ?

I think the hm tubings are high manga, ie manganese in the steel, bit like 531 ? High spec butting, will be good stuff whatever it is.

Back