Argos Frame - Can it be fixed, is it Argos?

Dancjwood

Devout Dirtbag
Hi All

I have this very sad frame that has Argos graphics on it; I don't know much about the firms own bikes and am aware that some frames marked as Argos are something else.

This one is a lovely metallic green with Zeus dropouts; the BB shell is marked with E7891, there is also a faint P and 1 on either side of the grease port. It has a 26.4 diameter seatpost and holes in the headtube as if there was once a badge there. Can anyone tell me anything about it? When was it made, what steel it's likely to be made of, is it Argos? I have emailed them but didn't get a reply.

The frame is snapped at the bottom of the seat tube, is this worth fixing or is it just a nice pair of forks?

Thanks

Dan

Attachments

• headtube.jpg
    headtube.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 869
  • IMG_0178 copy.jpg
    IMG_0178 copy.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 869
  • Seat tube.jpg
    Seat tube.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 869
  • forks.jpg
    forks.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 869
  • BB.jpg
    BB.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 869
  • IMG_0173 copy.jpg
    IMG_0173 copy.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 869
Glorious 60's - 70's frame with shot in seat stays, full sloping fork crown. Long dropouts and seat stays as thin as they go.

Looks a bit Roy Thame / Mercian etc but could be any number of builders.

Hole in the BB is likely for a bodged under BB guide.

Repair, yep or it sell to someone who will :)

Shaun

unless it was of some special significance to me I'd sell it as-is
you have the serial no, ask argos what it is, they may help, and quote for repair&repaint. I imaging the latter will cost far more than the finished frame is worth, unless its special.

Re:

There's no sentimental value, it's just a lovely looking frame that's been neglected for a long time.

I bought it as a donor bike so I probably will sell it on; this one just feels a bit "special"

Re:

With the fastback stays and sloping fork crown it reminds me of a Raleigh/Carlton Professional.
The breather holes also make me think of Raleigh.

A lovely frame but beyond economic repair I would have thought.

Mark.

Argos would probably be able to tell you if it's one of theirs, but they are one of the refinishers who put their own decals on stuff.

From position of head badge holes and frame number I'd definitely say it's a carlton. Worthy of repair in my opinion.
Looks about my size too ;-)

E number is 1969-70 Professional, I'll buy it and put it back together if no one else will...............

Shaun

Back