Period correctness - 1984

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've started building my 1984 Batavus Professional (pics here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=346692 ) and while I'm not desperate to get each and every part on it absolutely period correct, I would like to keep it as true to original as is reasonable possible.

Frame and fork are 1984, the Zeus Supercronos and Record parts fit that year or near enough, as do most of the other parts I have lined up (3ttt seatpost,bars and stem, Rolls saddle, G40 rims, etc.)

Other than tyres/tubs, spokes, inner cables and possibly BB which will all probably be modern, the things I'm not sure about are:

- bartape. I have white benotto. But was bike ribbon around in 1984?
- brake cable outers. When was plain white (as opposed to pearl effect) introduced?
- bottle cage. Were coloured (white) ones around in 1984, or would it have been only silver?

My knowledge of the detailed stuff only goes back to about 1990 so any help with info would be great!

thanks!

Re:

Yes, bike ribbon was around in 1984. My colleague had a Raleigh 753 with it fitted back then. Benotto is pretty crappy in my opinion: too short and too thin never mind very overpriced these days too. I've found this stuff to be far better ie wider and longer and has a great shine to it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pearl-White-S ... Swv0tVctCv

As for the bottle cage, bikes like your's would have typically been fitted with a TA steel bottle cage. They didn't mark water bottles the way that flimsy alloy ones did/ do and held the bottle well. Hen's teeth to find one in non corroded condition, I'm afraid.

Brake cables - as far back as I can remember (circa 1982>), the outer cables could be bought in a silver/grey colour in Shimano and Campag. Campag also did them in black. The standard cable sets from the likes of Clarks were done in a variety of plain colours.

Tyres: the nearest you'll find to the good old fashioned decent tyres of the day will likely be something like the Vittoria Open Corsa SC II and in tubulars the one of the same name, or my preference being the Vittoria Rally in a variety of widths at a very reasonable £15 odds.

I hope this helps.

:cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for all that!

I have lots of rolls of that shiny tape in white (not the true benotto, but the effect is the same). looks good, but not very comfortable and I think I prefer the look of bike ribbon.

I have a few bottle cages, will need to dig them out. But from what you say bare metal (either steel or alloy) would be correct? painted cages were later?

if clarks were making white cables in the early 80's then that's good enough for me - white it is! :) I have some pearl, but the ends are discoloured (I guess over the years muck and maybe lubricant has got in there and has affected the outer) Just out of interest though, is there anywhere to get pearl effect brake outers? They don't need to be original, modern copies are fine (and probably give better braking too)

I'm not worried about tyres/tubs - there are plenty of modern options that look just the part

Re:

Just get yourself a pair of good old fashioned crochet backed track mitts and get the shiny stuff fitted - it will look FAR nicer!

As for the cages - TA did the top of the range cages at the time. They were a bit heavier but the pro's swore by them. I can't think of an alternative that would look as cool, to be honest. I got the current Blackburn alloy ones in silver as they are light and not offensively modern looking, but get the TA chromed steel ones if indeed you can find them.

Best of luck

I think you're right on the track mitts and benotto :) I guess crochet track mitts are still available?

And what about shoes? size 45 or 46... all the ones I find seem to be about 41/42... And cleats? I sold my last set a few years ago :facepalm:

Have a large stash of bottle cages so will dig that out and see if any fit the bill!

I can't help you with shoes in those sizes as anything that I have been lucky enough to find are post 1985, which is my era of choice.

Keep an eye out for Sidi Cyclesport or Vittoria, Brancale of a similar vintage. Better still, Adidas Eddy Merckx - they had the best cleats to engage with traditional pedals and didn't chew up with a bit of walking, like Sidi did.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... es&_sop=15

As for mitts, I bought a pair of these recently - they even smell the same as they did over 30 years ago!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Style ... c8i87ltJRw

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
So I had a quick look, and have what's in the pic:

- steel or chromed with yellowed plastic part. Marked "Made in Italy" but nothing else
- Alloy Cobra
- Alloy TA
and 4 white ones that would look OK but are probably a few years later than 1984...

Those world champ stripe gloves look just the job. I had some like that when I started riding :)

I've seen plenty of shoes, but like I said they're all size 41 or 42. I need a 45 or 46 :oops:

Attachments

• DSCN0103.JPG
    DSCN0103.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 621
Old Ned, if you still have gloves and they're for sale, please let me know what size they are and how much posted :)

thanks!

Back