Holdsworth Cyclone '72 - '74 Nearly There

SullyW5

Old School Hero
Just thought I'd share a couple of quick pics of my new love after spending the afternoon rebuilding.

Recovered as a shed find in a messy state but all original paint.

I believe this would have just been sold as a frame by '72 so interesting to see how the owner built her up

Gipiemme BB, headset and chainset
Campag derailleurs and shifters
Weinmann brakes
Pyrma saddle

http://s666.photobucket.com/user/Sulleb ... %20Cyclone

Thanks Mike.

Any ideas what type of gent would have built this in the 70's and what it would have been used for?

I agree with Mike, very nice indeed.
I really like the colour.
I would imagine it was a gent with very good taste ;)
Make sure to start a thread in the readers rides.
Keep the updates coming and tell us more about the find as well :)

Jamie

SullyW5":1q8a9c45 said:
Thanks Mike.

Any ideas what type of gent would have built this in the 70's and what it would have been used for?

A lot of bikes in that era were multi purpose, not a lot of money about, mudguards for winter, cheaper HP wheels for out and about / club runs and sprints / tubs for any sort of racing.

Shaun

All original to how it was built up by the buyer in the 70's. Not sure whether Holdsworth built this up for him or whether he sourced components and built himself? What was the norm back then?.

All components stamped between '73 and '74. Even the saddle was part of it....I had a Brooks on for a moment but felt guilty that I was ignoring the original owners choice.

Decals and paint original but I replaced the 531 seat tube decal for exact copy as it was ripped in half.

The paint was sketchy so spent hours removing the flaking varnish, cleaned and t-cut it and followed up with a couple of lacquers. It now has a beautiful subtle patina where there is a bit of hazing under the lacquer.

All bearings cleaned, greased and/or replaced.

New tubes and cables and I had a bit of fun with red cloth tape and shellac.

That's it I think.

Just a mammoth clean up job.

Thanks kingbling

Midlife - thanks. So a good all rounder. It's just the first bike of that era I've owned that wasn't ready built so interested to see the components chosen.

I forgot to say, it had a set of black Bluemels as well but I left them off as I just wanted to see the red and white.....and it's almost Summer.....and I'm vain

Back