Cinelli Stem Size?

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Does anyone remember what diameter(s) Cinelli Record (1R) stems were available in?

Do I recall that they were available in two different diameters and when I say that, I presume that it was just the vertical shaft that slotted into the fork column and not the actually bar clamping region of the stem?

I can't for the life of me remember, but I don't recall this being an issue in this country in the '80s.

:?

Many thanks.

Re:

My understanding is that 26.4 was altered to 26.0 as standard in the mid 90's. I'm using 26.0 bars in both 1R stems I have, (one being 26.4, the other 26.0) - the clamp design makes this work without issue although I am probably stressing the clamp bolt.

Re: Re:

FINNEY1973":ch965no1 said:
My understanding is that 26.4 was altered to 26.0 as standard in the mid 90's.

Was that so it would creak more?!!

:x

It's such a small amount. The centre sleeve would often get ruined trying to join the bars and stem, so maybe that was the reason . ..

Re:

You could very well be correct - I might be thinking of the XA? However, one of the 1R's here is 26.0 - I noticed this when a pair of 26.4 bars didn't fit :facepalm:

Re:

I think folks just used 26.4 stems and tightened them a bit more on 26.0 bars - probably safe enough most of the time...

22mm & 22.2mm for the part that fits into the forks. Most of the 60's/70's/80's French Frames I have use a 22mm internal dia steerer tube in the forks.

Re: Re:

gavr":kn332gg8 said:
probably safe enough most of the time...
Except when tightening it up makes the clamp non-round, then you eventually get a crimped bar and it cracks.

Luckily i noticed the crack when i took it off to locate the creaking.

Back