NEED HELP in need of new parts

razorpirate87

Retro Newbie
its an old 80's raleigh eclipse 501

rear derailleur is knackered (the part my fingers on is not springing back anymore/broken) so ill need a replacement or upgrade

been recommended i can upgrade shifters to nicer alloy ones?

cables look frayed and too short

plastic guard between rear hub and spokes could do with replacing

if you could recommend specific parts that are going to work id appreciate it and/or where to buy

thank you,
Ross

Attachments

• 20160410_114702-768x1365.jpg
    20160410_114702-768x1365.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 813
  • 20160410_114730-768x1365.jpg
    20160410_114730-768x1365.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 813
  • bike1.JPG
    bike1.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 809
Re:

I used a Shimano 105 rear mech on my 85 Raleigh Clubman and it worked fine, I may have one here you can have for postage.

I have some alloy shimano downtube shifters somewhere also for postage, I am having a clearout today of the shed, ill let you know.

Re:

That would be very helpful as id like to get out and ride this thing tbh. Hit me up a pm if you manage to dig anything out

Re: in need of new rear derailleur cables & shifters

Weren't some of those "light action" derailleurs indexed?
If you're not bothered about indexing then 105 is very nice, especially for just postage!
If your derailleur is adjusted properly you don't need the spoke guard so you could just remove it

Re: in need of new rear derailleur cables & shifters

havent heard back from widowmaker yet, if somebody could link a decent rear mech for me to buy id appreciate it.
would love to upgrade a few bits just dont know what to buy

id like;
rear mech/front mech
correct fitting cables
new chain
possibly newer sprung brake levers?

thanks guys

I can sort you out with shimano F&R mechs shifters but your better off buying a new chain and cables from ebay or halfords your brake levers look fine and suit the bike

Maybe try looking at veterancycleclublibrary.org.uk for the Raleigh catalogue that has your Eclipse. Not sure of the year but behind the saddle post/seat tube you should have the frame serial number....perhaps beginning N*****. The first digit after the N will be the last number of the year ie. 4 = 84, 7 = 87 etc (I'm guessing it's 80's).

Look up the catalogue for that year and you should have a list of all the original components.

If you're not fussed about keeping it original just type 80's Raleigh components into ebay and go nuts.

Might be worth popping into your local bike shop and saying hello....they may end up becoming good friends!

Re:

kingbling that would be awesome, please feel free to pm me more details. I thought maybe tucking the brake lever cables but ill probably leave that for a while i just want to ride the bike now tbh

thanks for the info sully but i couldn't actually find anything on this bike, threw out the old seat post and there seems to be no other ID numbers on the bike :facepalm:

Back