531 raleigh, which size bottom bracket ?

shifty_steve

Dirt Disciple
Would much appreciate any help or info for working out the correct BB for a 1986 Raleigh 531,

crank, front mech and rear all tri colour...no idea how to work out the which BB to look for

thanks

Steve

Perhaps I should add. BB length is always decided by the crankset, except for shell width which is obviously down to the frameset. So your crankset original instructions would give the correct bb length to get the correct chainline. Thankfully Sheldon has put a list of common cranks on his site (in the link above) with the required bb length to make it easy for us.

BB shell on most raleigh stuff was 68mm. Spindle length depends on whats being attached to it i.e. 1, 2 or 3 chainwheels.

Just started prepping the frame tonight, measured the B/B and it is 68mm - so I guess thats straightforward I'll get a UN55

thinking of doing a quick check on the frame for straighness prior to paint etc...

plumb bob maybe...

What an amazing resource - this site and Sheldon's

Loaded a wheel into forks tonight, wow...can't believe how long it kept spinning - and it stayed central -

so conclusion at this point is my forks and front wheel are looking spot on...

now going to string the frame up, check measurements etc and widen the rear dropouts (if thats the right name) with some 3x2

thanx again

All sorted, forks checked, wheels checked and frame checked and rear wheel fitted with 8 speed hyperglide....ready to roll soon

is there anyway of cleaning or tidying up the edge of the wheel rims...i guess its anodised ?

Attachments

• DSC_0681.JPG
    DSC_0681.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 895
Back