Raleigh Road Ace build - The Banana Bike

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
After purchasing this frame etc over a year ago, it’s time to get the thing built. I have come close to buying a new Giant Defy but need to be strong and resist the temptation.

I originally planned to build a period correct looking bike but have now decided to build a steel framed bike that usable for my needs and knees with modern-ish parts such as brakes and gears as the hills of Dorset are killing me – so purists look away !!!

The frame is a 1985(?) Raleigh Road Ace.

My questions are with regards to the crank/bottom bracket/freewheel etc, I have looked on the internet and on Sheldon Brown but it’s all a little confusing to me so need some help. I need to have the bike built by April 24th for the BHF Dorset Cycle ride.

I want to fit a new double crank something along the lines of the Stronglight impact 50/34 from spa cycles along with the stronglight bottom bracket they recommend with the crank, with an IRD Classica freewheel 13-32.

My questions are…..

Will these parts be compatable with each other ?

The frame has a 126mm OLD rear end, am I right in assuming that a 7 speed freewheel will fit or will I have to fit a 6 speed?

Am I able to use a newer rear mech such as a Shimano 105 RD5500 with the above, I can’t seem to find online what the maximum cog size for this mech is.

Will I be able to find a clamp-on front mech to suit a 16T changover?

Thanks !

Pics to follow :facepalm:

The stronglight chainset should work fine, if you use the 105 RD a 105 FD will handle the front. I don't think you'll need a long cage RD unless you go triple at the front. 7 speed road spacing is 126mm so the freewheel will be fine. There are vintage Rds that will handle a 32 cog.

AndyMart":aw0fk9s3 said:
The stronglight chainset should work fine, if you use the 105 RD a 105 FD will handle the front. I don't think you'll need a long cage RD unless you go triple at the front. 7 speed road spacing is 126mm so the freewheel will be fine. There are vintage Rds that will handle a 32 cog.

Was planning on staying with the 50/36, just want to make the best of what I can with the freewheel to keep my knees safe :)

Thanks, that's good news. I have to admit to not being very mechanically mind and was getting a little confused - even tempted to buy new :oops:

Re:

I read in the original brochure that Raleigh Road Aces have 700c 20mm tyres as standard, does anyone know if the frame can accept 23mm, I tested fitted some 25mm and they rub the frame :?

Oh and the first number is year of manufacture, should be W then a letter then 5 for 85.

Re:

I am at work and the frame is at home, has anyone knowledge/running larger tyres than 700/23's on their Road Ace Frame :?:

Back