Are these forks a write off ?

trek_y

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi, RB road bikers. Hope you can help. I have just received a S/H Planet X Nanolight frame and forks as delivered today from an Ebay seller - one of those who's "I don't know anything about bikes" - and I suspect the forks are no good as there's what looks to be 2 cracks approx 30mm long down the right hand leg. Nothing was declared on his ad about any damage just "some marks as to be expected for a used bike frame". Not having had much experience of carbon road forks before does this look like a cracked carbon fork or is it just superficial to the lacquer and they're still useable ? The other side of the fork and the rest of the frameset seems pretty tidy so leaves me rather unsure if I should trust these forks or not.

Re:

Not good, the weave is broken, I can see in the photo where the cracks have been fretting and fiber strands are sticking out, the gray areas adjacent the the crack on the right hand side of the photo is the start of delamination probably induced by a twisting moment indicating that fork is well on its way toward a big time failure. My guess is that's a stress failure not impact damage. That fork is toast.
I would say "not as described" :cry: .

: Mike

I am no carbon expert by any stretch but in my limited opinion, that's cracked. Looks through to the weave and its delaminating. I would send a pic through to Planet X in the morning and contact the seller and flag it.
It looks like its split from lateral force rather than an impact, maybe, maybe not but if it were me then I would get an expert opinion before I trusted that.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":2e8asj46 said:
Posted almost at the same time. Great minds and all that ;)

Jamie

Thats Amazing!!! We wrote the same reply :shock: , I think we both wrote that quite well.

: Mike :D

Looks like something might have been clamped on to that to cause the initial failure.

Can probably be fixed, but i would suspect that it'll be nearly as cheap to just get another PX fork.
Or send it back and get a refund.

Jamiedyer":o4h0j55o said:
I am no carbon expert by any stretch but in my limited opinion, that's cracked.
I am though, and they do look pretty cracked! You can see the crack following the weave, heads off at 90 degrees and carries on. Lacquer on top delaminated away from the carbon. They have taken a fairly significant whack in my opinion.

Back