Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

I don't know if this will take off, but here we go.
I thought I'd start a thread for us all to post our road rides.
Whether it's a training ride or leisure, a club run with elevenses and a pub lunch, sportive, or the first ride on your newly built steed, post it up.
As long as it's a road ride, you're all welcome. And add pictures too. We all like to see what everyone else is riding.

I'll kick it off.

Having been at work this morning, I was itching to get out. So I started with the long gradual uphill through Brighton, to the top of Ditchling Beacon.
The future's bright

The future's yellow! :shock:

It was cloudy all afternoon, and with a sharp north easterly, meaning a block headwind,I was glad to get to the top.

Known as a big local climb, it's actually fantastic to ride down too, especially as it's recently been resurfaced, and there's little gravel in the middle of the lane.
So turning east, cross/headwind, it was nice to be on a rolling road.

Lambs to the left of me, South Downs ridge to right

Through Plumpton, and into Lewes, past the prison

Where there was a bit of welcome wind assistance! :cool:

Then heading down to Newhaven. I was brave to stop for a photo here, I could have seen my wheels nicked before I got back to the bike.

I wouldn't say it's rough, but it does make the industrial parts of Roubaix look upmarket! :LOL: :LOL:

Up the climb then, heading back towards Brighton, and big, rolling roads

Starting to feel it now, so was glad of the downhills :oops:

Along Hove lawns

Onto the seafront road towards Worthing, I thought I'd gone back in time

His Mrs - I guess - was behind, in an ex-police Morris 1000! :shock:

And then through Worthing I went, up to a little climb, where I was too stuffed to sprint up it, and was pleased with the long downhill back towards home. Wind assisted too, so was in top gear, feeling great again.
Final photo, near home

Not much happening in Clapham village then! Nice area for walking though. So back to home and a big cuppa, after 3 3/4 hours.

Hope you enjoyed the read, hope it was not too picture heavy for you all.

Mike

Re:

Phew, thought it was only me. I'm not an egomaniac, just thought it may be of interest for us roadies.
The frame is actually a new one, bought from the factory by me in 2012, so all 1 1/8" ahead at the front.
Trying to do a themed ride before each of the spring classics. On a different bike. Once jersey for the ride above
Next weekend the Bianchi, and at least one cobbled climb, and several short steep ones.
Each time in 90s kit, suitable for the bike.
MG GB Bianchi jersey, Briko sunnies and hairnet helmet!

Mike

I used to live down that way. Know Hove and Brighton very well.

My favourite ride was a slow climb to Devil's Dyke then a long the south downs way to Littlehampton, chips & fish then back to Palmeira Square in your pic.

Nice Thread Mike liking the pic's that SD1 takes me back a bit will be glad to add to this once my back and sciatica has been sorted. We also have a Plumpton up here but it has no prison only the Pot Place :LOL: :LOL:

Really a nice bike.Although I do not like yellow,its color is very pleasant.I want to know you ride line. I think the way scenery is very beautiful. If we have opportunity can ride together.

I just finished building up a PA60 frame I bought recently. I'm on a high-ten high currently, and could not resist this one. I was not disappointed - it rides VERY nicely - and made this lousy picture during its maiden voyage last night:

720.jpg

Re:

Great thread idea Mike, and some nice pictures of your ride. I know your area well as I grew up in the Lewes area - you rode past a farm I used to work at in the late 80's, between Plumpton and Offham.
Anyway, todays road ride:
I finally just got out on my Gazelle Champion Mondial that I restored last Autumn, but due to a shoulder injury and seemingly never ending wet weather, I never got to test ride it. I am amazed at how responsive it is compared to my modern chromoly framed winter bike. The brakes need to bed in yet, and I really didn't get on with the toe-clips and straps, so they might have to be changed. Otherwise I already love the bike, it will be a keeper for now. There are some great routes to ride here in North Yorkshire, flat rides out towards York or hills up into the Dales, but sadly many potholes and I only managed 10 miles today before getting a puncture, and I had to call Mrs Sheds out for recovery as I couldn't get the tyre off roadside. Anyway here are a couple of shots I took while waiting for recovery.

_____
Bruce

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_11978-gazelle-champion-mondial_25928782216_o.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_11978-gazelle-champion-mondial_25928782216_o.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 5,967
  • rsz_1978-gazelle-champion-mondial_25928805736_o.jpg
    rsz_1978-gazelle-champion-mondial_25928805736_o.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 5,967
Back