surface rust and touch-up paint removal

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've a new project on the go :) (will start a thread on it soon), and one of the first jobs I need to sort if I can is removing some surface rust from the frame, and also some mis-matched touch-up paint, so that I can find a better match and tidy it up a bit. I don't want to refinish the whole frame, as it doesn't need it and I'd like to keep it original, but I would like to tidy it up as much as possible. Pic of one of the (worst) rust spots below. What's the best way to remove it without damaging the paint any further?

And how about removing touch-up paint without damaging the original paint underneath or right next to it?

thanks!

Attachments

• 2016-03-18 16.25.21 (Medium).jpg
    2016-03-18 16.25.21 (Medium).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 874
Re:

How about trying a fibre glass or steel scratch pencil? £2.99 on Ebay, that's such a good idea I think I'll buy one myself.

Re: Re:

Martin Rattler":1h1w6lpn said:
How about trying a fibre glass or steel scratch pencil? £2.99 on Ebay, that's such a good idea I think I'll buy one myself.

Question is which would work best ? ..

Re:

I have a similar problem on one of my frames and I would like to preserve the original finish. I have just ordered a couple of fibre glass brushes for £2.99 the pair through Amazon, if that doesn't work I'll try one of the steel ones.

I've had this problem on a few recent rebuilds the trouble is the rust although it seems to be a small area migrates out like worms under the paint work & covers huge areas, the other problem you will have is that any respray or hand touch up in a local area will stand out as new paint.

I would be tempted to strip the whole frame of all paint work back to bare metal & start again, this of course includes extra time cost, then buying & fixing new decals, so it really depends on yourself to what level you wish proceed with are you keeping this or just moving it on ?

In the past I've sprayed by hand, OK the finish comes out very good no runs etc, generally looking at the bike it looks fine, but you can never get the paint finish durability (chip resistant) from a home aerosol job as you can from say a car garage type re-spray, I've just put my 1st ever frame out for professional spraying I'll be interested to see the difference in quality.

Re:

You will need something abrasive to remove anything loose or bubbled, green scratchy thing used on the washing up will do it (sorry can't think of the English word) then use a product like jenolite gel on the brown surface ( no need to remove the surface rust only the loose stuff) this will turn the rust back to a solid metal surface which will need primer/paint/clear coat ( all of which can be done with a fine artist brush) this way minimum disruption is caused in order to avoid full on respray which I think will loose the originality of the bike.

The mismatched colour paint can be removed with a soft cloth and some T cut, as this newer paint will be softer than the original and should come off first, car polish will also work and is a little gentler than T cut.

Using this method on my 1956 BMW Isetta (no respray)

Before...
DSC01941.jpg

After
DSC01952.jpg

Back