Tubing used by Chas Roberts in the mid to late 1970s?

sawston_vulcan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Did Chas Roberts ever build track frames in 531 plain gauge back in the mid to late 1970s [1976 to 1979/1980] or only 531 double butted or better?

Any one help?

By the mid 70's the trend of using plain guage 531 for track frames had died out and they tended to be made of whatever was requested by the customer or the builder wanted to use. Chunky seat stays and track forks with round blades were still in fashion though.

Shaun

Hi Shaun...was what ever i sent you ok?

A chap on LFGSS is selling a Roberts...595...so 1976-80....drilled for front and rear brakes and mg eyes front and rear....chap too it to a LBS and the seatpost was a snug 27.0mm...so seatpost tube might need reaming out....can't upload pics as they are too big for this site...but shape of the legs and rear triangle track ends, i would say 531 and not Columbus...so would you think it is 531 or better?

Hi

It must have arrived OK without problems as I have a mental blank on what it was :)

Drilled front and rear and mudguard eyes so not a banked track type bike. If it's destined for the road then 531 DB or better guaranteed as there is no need to resist the "Hugh Porter Stomp" for pure rack bikes. Best judge would be it's weight if that's possible.

Columbus seat stays, chain stay tubes were a bit rounder and fatter than 531 but not by a lot. Any chance of having a look at the pics on shaunwhitehead@aol.com , I'll also have a peek on LFGSS

Cheers

Shaun

Found it on LFGSS :) Are the brakes recessed for allen key brakes, Can't put my finger on it but something looks wrong with the geometry, or maybe it's just a small frame? Normally to keep the top tube shorter on smaller frames, handbuilt frames of that era often had a more upright seat tube....even if it's a winter training bike.

Shaun

Re:

I have Roberts track frame #571, which looks slightly different (no chrome, blunt top to seatstay, plain fork crown). I recall its a 27.2 seat post, could check at the weekend. Does look quite different to the one you mention (which I also found on LFGSS). However, all custom and this has the cable guides and mudguard eyes...
Edited to add, the frame on LFGSS is presumably a respray, or at least new decals? The world champion Roberts head badge was later?? (At a guess)

sawston_vulcan":2pvks613 said:
Did Chas Roberts ever build track frames in 531 plain gauge back in the mid to late 1970s [1976 to 1979/1980] or only 531 double butted or better?

Any one help?

I've recently helped with an article on Roberts (one of my past LBSs)...

Jon.

Back