1955 Holdsworth Monsoon build

cycletothesea

Retro Guru
Just acquired this lovely Holdsworth Monsoon - dated to 1955-57 and recently restored. Very pleased with the purchase, and have some perfect Campagnolo high flange hubs to kick it off. Going to find the pieces bit by bit as and when they pop up on eBay and build it up over the next 6 months or so. So here it begins:

Attachments

• Holdsworth Monsoon 1.JPG
    Holdsworth Monsoon 1.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,850
  • Holdsworth Monsoon 2.JPG
    Holdsworth Monsoon 2.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,848
  • Holdsworth Monsoon 3.JPG
    Holdsworth Monsoon 3.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,848
Looks great, I am just starting similar project to recreate a Monsoon bike I inherited in my youth. The frame number I have now is 24110 which I think makes it around 1958 any thoughts on date?

Also I remember the one I had years ago had Cyclo Benilux 5sp gears, would this have been common? Don't see this in the literature on the web, that mainly states Simplex or Huret gears.

dwscrimshaw":2e9iyqtx said:
Also I remember the one I had years ago had Cyclo Benilux 5sp gears, would this have been common? Don't see this in the literature on the web, that mainly states Simplex or Huret gears.
The 1955 catalogue gives options for the Typhoon "Or with Simplex or Huret Tour de France or Benelux gear"
The catalogue also has the Monsoon frameset with the 'Hurricane' specifications which did not mention the Benelux. The options were a 4 or 5 speed Simplex or Huret Tour de France RD and the opportunity to also add a Campagnolo 'front changer'
The 1956 catalogue repeats the options, with Benelux seemingly limited to the Typhoon

And again in 1957, Typhoon and the Monsoon.

however, as there was no premium charged for the Benelux over the Simplex or Huret derailleurs, and if the customer wanted the Benelux, it is reasonable that a customers request could be accommodated.

Back