Weinmann 27x 1 1/4 rims question

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
Tyre size question gang . Other than 27x 1 1/4 tyres can i use anything else ? ie 27x 1 1/8 on these rims given that they have no hook edge . Any one help please .

Re:

When we got rid of beaded edge tyres about 1900 the British system used inextensible wire bead edges. Size was simplicity itself (where did that go?)
the outside diameter in this case is a nominal 27 inches, the important diameter is 25.5 inches, (27 -1.25-1.25). All British cycle tyres were sized the same way.
So"top to top" less the depth of the tyre twice.

In the 27 x 1 /1/4 size tyres were actually made in slightly different widths.

Keith

Re:

I have am running 1 1/8" Contis on unhooked rims on one of my machines so I don't think there should be any problem with this. I hope not anyway as I have just ordered a set to fit to my Weinmann wheeled Hobbs.... no it'll be fine. I did have a nasty blow out yesterday on the Hobbs running on 25mm tyres but I think that this had more to do with the state of the tyres and possibly the age of the tube rather than it being a sizing issue...no, thinking about it I ran these tyres on unhooked Weinmann rims for about a year on another machine with no problem. However it is important that you do not over-inflate the tyres and I generally run them at about 70psi.

Re:

Thank you for the replies gents .

I think i have been putting to much pressure in the tyres {27x 1 1/8 folding specialized turo } .

Blew one off the rim yesterday whilst out . It appears to of failed on its edge beading. It had been in the shed in a box for years . I reckon left folded for so long did not help matters .

When with a right old bang next a tree full of rooks . Caused a real commotion .

Fitted a NOS panaracer on returning home so I will run it at 70psi

Re:

I have running some Birmalux rims (without beads) fitted with some Panaracer Pasella 27 x 1 1/8” solid bead tyres and have not had any problems at all. I inflate them to 75psi and have done many miles on them. When fitting, a little talc powder on the bead and inner tube helps to centre the tyre, before full inflation
Before the Panaracers, I did use some old 27” specialized tyres, but could feel them slipping. I thought the rubber had hardened and lost grip on the rim.
Warning. Do not use folding tyres on non beaded rims.

Re:

Thanks Boscarn .

I will remove said folding tyres and fit a standard 1 1/4 for now . Off to look for some 1 1/8 beaded tyres .

Re:

I bought my 1 1/8” Pasellas from here; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271479404465? ... EBIDX%3AIT

The 1 1/8" measures 26.2mm and the 1 1/4" measures 29mm wide.

So far I have had two deliveries from Bikewagon, both with two pair of tyres and have avoided any import duties and taxes.

The 1 1/4" can be found in the UK.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Madget Cycles, Diss, Norfolk in the UK does 27" x 1" 1/4 and 1" 1/8 tyres. Posts them too.

Simon

Just out of curiosity I had a look what is on my Weinmann 27 x 1 1/4 rims and they are Japanese "Carlisle 27 x 1 flyte", not on my radar but they are half worn so I guess they have stayed in place :)

Shaun

Re:

Fitted a pair of Continentals 1 1/4 for now . The all black colour makes the bike look heavy . Will continue searching for some wired Panaracer 1 1/8 . They seem in short supply in the UK at the moment . Will try Madgets

Thank you all for your input.

Back