Aluminium pop nuts.

Dicky71

Retro Guru
I wonder If any one might have at least one if not two of these little buggers lying around that i can buy off you. They are for a bottle cage.
Regards,
Richard Lees.

Re: Aluminium rivet nut.

Hello, is there anybody out there? They are also referred to as a rivet nut. I regard it a bit uneconomical placing an order for a hundred or thousand from China. Is it possible that someone can help me with this one.

Regards,
Richard Lees.

Do you have a local bike shop who have them? I had a loose one in a Cannondale frame and my (small) local bike shop stocked them and had the correct size riveter. They're usually known as 'rivnuts' btw

Rivnuts of threaded tubular rivets...

I've got plenty if you want some, about £0.15 each, but you'll need the rivet pliers to fit them.
Probably best to have a look around for a good bike shop or general engineering company locally.
Happy to ship my rivet pliers for you to use if you can pay a deposit.

All the best,

Re: Aluminium rivetnut.

Hello Dan.
Are the rivetnuts you have suitable for bike frames? The flange is just over 9mm in diameter, according to what i've read and hole i need to drill about 7mm, if i remember correctly. I can fasten the rivet in the frame by using a wheel hub & it's QR skewer, apparantly. Thanks for the offer of hiring out the rivet pistol to me. If your rivetnuts meet the requirements for frame use then i would be happy to take 4 of them off your hands. Are the ones you have aluminium? Better to ask too many times than not enough, just to be on the safe side. :D

Regards,
Richard Lees.

Hi Richard,
The ones I use have a larger flange to give a better contact with the bottle cage etc: 7mm drill hole, 10.5mm flange:

These are zinc plated steel. I find that while the aluminium ones are easier to pull as they are softer material, the knurled teeth on the aluminium ones don't grip the hole very well at all.
A QR might do the job, but you might need proper tools this big:

PM your address and we can get you some shipped.

All the best,

Attachments

• 2016-03-09 19.32.33.jpg
    2016-03-09 19.32.33.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 560
  • 2016-03-09 19.36.35.jpg
    2016-03-09 19.36.35.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 560
Are steel rivets suitable for aluminium frames? Do you have any experience regarding this question. I don't. It's not a top notch frame but i have ideas to make the complete bike a bit of a head turner. I think it has potential.
What are you using them for? Thanks again for offering to help.

Regards,
Richard Lees.

Stainless or plain steel on an alloy frame will corrode if it gets wet. Stainless is slightly better but alloy would be best.

These are zinc passivated steel.
I've used them on my 6061 aluminium racing wheelchair and handcycle frames for fitting bottles and straps. Usually powdercoated after fitting, but 15+ years without problems.

All the best

Back