When aerodynamics was new...

hmmhmm

Dirt Disciple
Found some old photos (pls excuse the quality) from a show I went to in Tokyo, probably about 1981.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• PICT0042.JPG
    PICT0042.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 1,117
  • PICT0043.JPG
    PICT0043.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,117
  • PICT0044.JPG
    PICT0044.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 1,117
  • PICT0045.JPG
    PICT0045.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 1,117
  • PICT0049.JPG
    PICT0049.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,117
  • PICT0051.JPG
    PICT0051.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,117
Re:

Thanks so much for posting these... I love this stuff and why the 1980s were such an exciting time for racing bikes... new materials, concepts and all that "bling", too!

And, of course, so much of it was a commercial flop. But no one can doubt the beauty, craftsmanship and innovation of the Dura Ace AX components. It was just a shame that all this came when frame construction was still largely tied to steel and the limitations of using that in anything other than round tubes. The Tange Aero tubing just weighed too much to be competitive.

But great stuff and love these photos when it was all so new and exciting.

Here is my 1981 Lotus (Tsunoda) Super Pro Aero

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

Attachments

• 1-1981 Lotus (Tsunoda) Super Pro Aero.jpg
    1-1981 Lotus (Tsunoda) Super Pro Aero.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 1,065
Those are some great photos. Thanks for sharing

I have an early eighties 'aero' track bike made with the aforementioned hefty Tange Aero tubing

LDf_zpsaxsn9tg7.jpg

Re: Re:

kohl57@yahoo.com":2465xx8s said:
Here is my 1981 Lotus (Tsunoda) Super Pro Aero

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

Peter - are those Araya aero rims? I used to have them on one of my bikes, went touring through France on them, had to replace them when I got home as cracks were beginning to appear around the holes in the rims. They were nice and light though!

Re:

Hinault's Speedstream Gitane was the first bike I remember venturing into the world of aerodynamics

pigman":396doyvg said:
Hinault's Speedstream Gitane was the first bike I remember venturing into the world of aerodynamics
Yes, with front brake behind the fork…

Hinault01.jpg

Re:

They are indeed... the Araya Aero 1 700x18.5 32-hole polished alloy 300 g. and very hard to source now. This restoration was held up for two months whilst I was searching for a pair. You can find them in the later anodised versions, but the original polished alloy ones are the rare ones.

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

24pouces":1iqagbfc said:
pigman":1iqagbfc said:
Yes, with front brake behind the fork…

Hinault01.jpg

I have images of Lemond and Fignon riding very aero Gitanes, the Speedstream tubing was quite heavy, unlike the even-rarer Dynaflite.

Jon.

Back