Mystery Sports Frame 30's 40's HELP!

SullyW5

Old School Hero
Hi All

Can you pleaseoffer your collective wisdom in helping to identify this maker and year?

I recently picked it up covered in red paint. The components are a mix of 50/60's so looks like it went through a very rough refurb around this time. All help much appreciated!
Thanks
Sully

Photos:
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s666.photobucket.com/user/Sullebhain/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>[/url]

Spec:
Frame Size - 21'
Wheelbase - 41'
Angles - Not sure but looks parallel
Front forks and crown look chromed but unsure of rear forks
No sign of rivet holes on head tube

Stamps / Numbers:
Seat Lug on top - 9 / 4597
Bottom Bracket - British Made 3/4 / CR23
Forks Steerer Tube - N9 (or 6N)

Components:
Wheels - 26 x 1 3/8
Front - H.R. Pattern hub with Dunlop rims
Rear - SA Hub AW9 (so 1939 but not sure original) 3 speed on Raleigh rims
Chainset - 48T

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s666.photobucket.com/user/Sullebhain/embed/slideshow/Mystery%20Sports%20Frame%2030s%2040s"></iframe>

Still trying to figure out photobucket

Re:

I would say 30s looking and possibly Selbach but not for definite. Interesting frame and forks. I've seen the lugs you have and seem to remember Selbach. Will check.

Simon

Re:

Check out classic lightweights and also V-CC library for catalogues. Maurice Selbach was very well known and alot of frame builders worked for him before they started on their own. Granby could be another but 80% positive its a Selbach, Sully.

Simon.

Re:

Selbach was killed in 35, sadly but the name went on till 39. I wonder if the 9 at the beginning of your serial number is the year possibly? Just guesstimation. N9 for the forks the year?

Simon.

Looking at VCC but can't find a match and not many 30's catalogues.

I must admit I was thinking '39.

The Russ forks stand out a bit. Also the frame number at the top of the seat lug...haven't seen that before.

What led you toward Selbach.......the lugs?

Back