Build thoughts please guys.

roadking

Senior Retro Guru
About to start a restoration/build of a rare touring frame (I mention rarity only because I don't want to modify it - too much).

In many minds about the final specification, I have to use Mafac centre pulls as the frame has braze on bosses and I don't want to use a triple chainset - I prefer the aesthetics of a double.

I have Campag Nuovo Record and Suntour Cyclone gears (don't have to use these)...like some ideas from you guys - I'm open minded about the final spec. I'll be using it for light day touring with just a Carradice.

Thanks guys, Jon.

P.S the frame was built in 1975.

Yes I agree :) Use the Suntour. A very fine and underated choice.
Now you have teased us, please tell us more about this frame.

Jamie

Re:

When I started cycling with ctc in the 70s, suntour were the gears of choice for tourists. And the cyclone was the best.
Also centre pulls were first choice, the 2 most common being weinmann or mafac. Chainsets were stronglight or TA. Rims tended to be weinmann. To my mind, you have a good start with the equipment you have

I find myself agreeing with pigman a lot lately, first generation Suntour Cyclone is the ticket. If you have 120mm spacing and want to keep it, the Suntour Ultra-6 freewheels give you 6 speeds in the width of 5 speeds and works fine with 7 or 8 speed chain.
The Suntour New Winner freewheels (imho :D ) was probably the ultimate freewheel design as you can adjust the bearing preload or disassemble for maintenance without messing about with shims, if you want to get this far into one of these freewheels the right tool helps...

The Suntour New Winner tool looks like this with a New Winner Ultra-6 freewheel...

Link to John Allen's excellent article on Suntour freewheels...
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/suntour-freewheel.html

Yes I Love Suntour: Mike

Jamiedyer":1l4egxdp said:
Yes I agree :) Use the Suntour. A very fine and underated choice.
Now you have teased us, please tell us more about this frame. Jamie

Thanks guys, here are my thoughts, thanks for yours -

Mafac centrepulls and levers (have)
TA chainset (double 46/36, need to source)
Suntour Cyclone gearset (have)
Suntour Ultra 6 freewheel (need to source).

Or,

Mafac centrepulls and levers (have)
Campag NR chainset (48/42 have)
Campag NR gearset (maybe a Campag Rally instead of the NR - have)
Suntour Ultra 6 freewheel (need to source).

The rest - Campag Record two bolt seatpin
ITM stem and randonneur bar
Campag Record hubs (small flange) Mavic rims
Pedals Campag
Brookes B17 in brown.

Oh the rare frameset, it is a Philbrook branded Bill Philbrook fillet brazed touring frameset, baby blue in colour, and will be repainted as original by someone who knew Bill.

Jon.

Early Campag Rally for some reason were a pig to set up and keep right.......... I always wondered if they had set up the tooling right for the cage? Maybe it's just me but I'd rather have the Cyclone :)

Sounds like a classy frame.

Shaun

Re:

Hi Shaun.

I'll probably go for the Suntour T/A combo tbh. Bill is regarded by some as the finest framebuilder of the post war period - although he is not well known and very few of his frames are branded with his name: he made many top end frames for other shops.

Jon.

Back