Basic (but Simplex) rear mech incompetence

Ajoten

Old School Hero
Just remember there's no such thing as a stupid question. I've never done any installation or fettling of gears so am flying blind, but what's going on here?

This is a new chain of precisely same length as old but the original ran through a Shimano 600 rear mech which has been swapped for a Simplex SLJ5500 bought from from Hilary Stone. The "default" untensioned positions of the mechs are small cog v small ring, and I think that's as expected. But it's only when I manually pull the pulleys down from 4 to 6 o'clock that the slack is taken up.

Have I done something wrong, or will attaching the cables miraculously sort it?

Attachments

• mms_20160228_145853.jpg
    mms_20160228_145853.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 510
Looks to me like your mech isn't mounted correctly. Don't know if this is same as mtb ones but there should be a stopper on the mech mounting bracket that sits against a stop on your drop out/mech hanger. If not this then it's something to do with the spring. Maybe it has been taken apart and not put back together under the correct spring tension.
Probably wrong on both accounts, but hey I tried.

Good luck and happy tinkering. Once you have done it once you shouldn't get stuck again.

Leigh

After looking again I noticed that the chain isn't round jockeys the correct way. Top should be at bottom and vice versa.

Leigh

a bit of browsing on t'internet has me thinking the derailleur body needs to be pointed downwards much more

So is it the case that mech should swing lower like a chariot?

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it off and investigate

Re:

Looks like you need more tension in the rear mech. Will the cage spin round more? Take jockey wheels out, spin cage and put jockey wheels back under tension.

Simon

Split the chain then remove the chain and check that the spring in the top of the mech body is pulling the mech backwards. Then spin the cage anticlockwise (I think) to tesion and re thread the chain. The spring in the mech top and the cage should tnsion the chain. You might find that you need a link less.

Classy looking set up :)

Shaun

Well for a start it's mis-assembled: the front parallelogram plate is upside down. I also suspect that the springs may be in wrong, or alternatively you need to remove the chain, rotate the cage half a turn anti-clockwise then re-thread the chain through.
Compare here...
simplexrr.jpg

Back