Question about straight blade forks

Freefaller767

Retro Newbie
I wanted to know when straight blade forks first came into production on racing bikes. Specifically, are they pre- 1987?
I seem to recall that colnago were the first to design them but I could be wrong.

Cheers!

I left the bike scene in the late 70's to very early 80's and forks had a rake, even Aende. The straight forks I first saw had a rake, it's just that it started at the fork crown :)

Shaun

Thanks Shaun and Coupes.

Still not sure when the first straight blade forks on road racing bikes were used- was it only till the early 90s or before then?

I want to enter the brooks retro criterium at smithfield nocturne this summer, and the frameset needs to be pre 1987.

Can post a picture of the frame I want to build up (I stupidly sold the forks from it last year as the chrome was badly pitted- should've just got them rechromed!)

Re:

Pictures always help. Pre 87 pretty sure forks would have to be curved at the ends. Someone might have something here.

Re:

They existed in the late 80s, just not sure when it started. My mates colnago master had them, my master which was a bit older had curved forks.

I'm sure i've seen a youtube video of Ernie talking about everything that Colnago was the first to introduce new things to cycling, & he mentions on there, that they were the first with the straight forks. It might have been one of the bikes that Ferrari helped to design that they were first used on? I know they appeared on the Master in about 88-early 89.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4KsgG0hpuE

Back