Carlton Grand Prix: Bottom Bracket Advice

dchwhite

Retro Newbie
Hello

I've joined the forum as I've been told this is THE place to seek advice about older bicycles. Please forgive me if I make any mistakes...

I've owned an old Carlton Grand Prix for the best part of two decades (I think), and just recently with a new job, I'm travelling on it a bit more and parts have begun to fail. I'm not very clever with my hands, so my local bike shop has replaced the rear sprocket, chain, front wheel, bottom bracket etc. About a month after the new BB going in, the pedals started to go offline again and I took it back to them, thinking it might be whatever the next part is having expired. They advised there was a problem with the bottom bracket shell (frame stretched or the threads had gone taking the old BB out), and as it would cost hundreds to have that repaired, I should consider either having the BB welded in (with the consequent skipping of the frame when the BB then died) or just replacing the bike.

I asked advice on my guitar forum (I know, but we have quite a broad membership so you can get some good 'starters for ten'!) and they suggested all sorts of BBs I'd not heard of - threadless, external and so on - suggested I join here, and find a local classic bike repairer.

I'm currently trying someone local to me who has more of an interest in vintage bikes, and he's put a threadless BB in. First attempt at leaving his shop, I didn't get a hundred yards down the street before I realised it was still wonky. I brought it back to him - he said he'd face the frame -and when I took it away again, I got almost home before the bracket started wobbling again.

He's said he will look at it again tomorrow, and might need to face the other side of the frame as well, but my fear at this point is that - perhaps- the BB shell is sufficiently far gone that this solution just isn't going to work. I've called Bob Jackson for advice: I saw their price list suggesting £160 for a new BB shell, which is a huge cost against the value of the bike and having spoken to them I now understand that I'd also need a respray, so all in £160 shell + £100 respray + £55 carriage there and back + £whatever a local bike shop would charge to dismantle and reassemble... = £Lots!

Now, I love the bike and would very much like to keep it - I know it's silly, but it's 'my bike' and even though people tell me it's too big for me (25 1/2" frame for a 5'11" person) I've been riding it a long time now and I'm very happy with it. Equally, I think the repair bill if I have to take this route is getting on for £400; a mint example of the bike sold over the weekend for a hair under £60 on eBay (other side of the country from me unfortunately - I'm in Cambs and the bike was in Warrington. If it had been local I would have been tempted to grab it and repair the original when I've got the disposable to do so).

I would very much appreciate any thoughts or advice! I think the sensible answer is 'you could buy a new bike for that money' but I am loathe to give up on the bike if I can at all possibly avoid it...

Thanks very much, Dan.

Sounds like they screwed it up! its not worth repairing the BB shell if its going to cost a huge amount, there are threadless BBs around which can help. remember that the shell is 68mm, a standard Raleigh size, which is important. Im not overly knowledgeable about which types are on the market, but Im sure someone here will be able to advise. Depending on how attached you are to the bike will dictate how much you may want to spend on it. Replacement decals can be found from suppliers, and there are a number of finishers who could respray. It really depends on how much you want to spend on it. The late 70s Grand Prix is not a high end Carlton, but in my eyes is still a serviceable mount and worth saving, others would possibly disagree with me and say its not worth it. whatever route you take you can get lots of advice here!

Mike

Welcome :)

Threadless bottom brackets should stay put if put in properly, two man job though.

The other cheaper option is to cut and shut the BB then re-thread, something like this

quinn7-jpg.116500

Nothing wrong with keeping an old friend going but buying a new frame might be an easier answer in the end. Any pictures?

Cheers

Shaun

Certainly a well used bike :) Crespera lugs so deffo 1970's. At that age probably "fire red", a Carlton special colour made by painting the frame pale yellow and then painting red on top.

New bar tape?

Cheers

Shaun

Right, picture appears to have worked! Poor old thing.

Mike, I think you're right about it getting messed up - Shop no2 said Shop no1 must have used chisels from the state it was in when he saw it. And 'worth it' is a difficult question - I would only be planning on repairing it so I could keep it going, but at the same time, I am questioning my sanity in even asking the question about spending that sort of money on my old bike! I think if I could sell some other things I am not using (non-bike-related - camera lenses, guitar parts and so on) then .. but still it seems like an awful lot of money! I think if I did have it resprayed, I would probably just go for a single colour and not worry about decals - it would be great to do a full restoration, but as my 'skills' are non-existent I think it could turn out to be very expensive.

Shaun, could I please ask a bit more about the cut and shut you've described? If it's a more economic solution... I'm saving up for a house deposit atm and if there's a way of doing things reasonably, I'm all ears.

Gav thanks for the pictures of the threadless BBs. I think bike shop 2 used an Oxford brand threadless BB.

I suppose the other thought is to look for another old racer to use whilst I ponder what to do about this one. The only thing I've seen even vaguely locally (that doesn't look like it would need a lump of money throwing at it too) is a Claud Butler Majestic up Norwich way - I don't suppose anyone might be able to advise how this model might compare to my Grand Prix please?

Thanks again all for the warm welcome and advice - very much appreciated :)

Shaun, it's certainly lived, poor thing! Yes, new bar tape, new front wheel, rear sprocket, chain and BB (now twice over!) in the last few months. It's not much of a looker, but as it has to move around various parts of Cambridge on a daily basis, that's a strength rather than a weakness - you have half a chance it will still be there when you need it, as opposed to the nicer-looking bikes which seem to catch the eye of our local cycle-relocators.

Re:

well around Cambridge at least there aren't many hills where you need to get out of the saddle with all the extra stresses...... :)

threadless bb's often need the edges of the shell to be chamfered which probably not worth the cost, wasn't for an old one of mine. Did they need this and was it done ?

Depending how stretched / worn the threads are and if both sides or one, having fitted a threadless which then worked loose I'm guessing the cups are quite loose now but if not I have used araldite to glue one side of bb in place. In fact had several years cycling around Cambridge on a fixed with this arrangement many moons ago. Its a bit of a bodge but can work. Alternatively again if only one cup could weld in place. I'm guessing this would need to be steel cups for best results.

Back