Spring classics, 2016

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks, thought I'd start a thread on this for anyone interested.

Not seen any racing this year, so Het Nieuwsblad - formerly Het Volk - next week will be a chance to catch up on who's riding for what team, and checking out new team strips. I hope it's televised!
Along with the small matter of who's on form.
I can't wait!
Anyone else?

Mike

Re:

Me!.

My absolute favourite time of the cycling year.

Will Ian Stannard make it 3 for 3?, last year's finish was an absolute classic, putting the best Etixx had to offer to the sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQRSisiaC9A

You don't get this kind of racing anywhere else, it's got to be Northern Europe in the spring.

Roll on April and the hell of the north, Cancellara's last chance for a fourth victory.

Matt

Re:

Hey Matt!

I'll have a look at the clip soon, refresh my memory!
If it wasn't for HONC, I'd allow myself a trip out there to Flanders or Roubaix. Don't want to take the p.ss though
Next year definitely!

I'd like to see Cancellara do it, in a big battle with Boonen. With the latter having won Flanders

Mike

Re:

Just seen last years' finish, hells' bells! :shock:

How strong was he !

Wilfried Peeters must have been spitting nails! :LOL: :LOL:

Like to see Geraint Thomas do well this year too, hopefully not getting blown off his bike in Flanders as he was last year! :roll:

Just reading his book, kindly borrowed from another Retrobiker. Really good read for anyone interested

Mike

Hi MIke,

Me and a mate have been heading to Paris-Roubaix for the last five years and hope to go again this year, it's becoming a bit of a tradition!.

You really can't beat standing by an old cobbled road in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday afternoon in France and shouting your head off at a load of pro cyclists burying themselves for a chance of glory!.

I'm having difficulty seeing past Sagan for a win (or two) this spring after his performance at the worlds, this could be the year he begins to dominate the Classics? (he's been there or thereabouts for a while).

Matt

Re:

I've been to Het Volk once Flanders and Roubaix three times at least each.
Can't beat being there, and the mad rush between vantage points! Gotta go back sometime

March 6 to March 13 – Paris-Nice, France
March 9 to March 15 – Tirreno-Adriatico, Italy
March 19 – Milan-San Remo, Italy
March 25 – E3 Harelbeke, Belgium
March 27 – Gent-Wevelgem, Belgium
April 3 – Tour of Flanders, Belgium
April 10 – Paris-Roubaix, France
April 17 – Amstel Gold Race, Netherlands
April 20 – La Fleche Wallonne, Belgium
April 24 – Liege-Bastogne-Liege, Belgium

Looks like Eurosport, Belgian frites & mayonnaise and some of the following for the next two months :D

Attachments

• belgian-beer-ii.jpg
    belgian-beer-ii.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,008
Re:

Yep!

Better get my riding done in the week and Saturdays then :LOL: :LOL:

Who's on form I wonder

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":1pj36zry said:
Just seen last years' finish, hells' bells! :shock:

How strong was he !

Wilfried Peeters must have been spitting nails! :LOL: :LOL:

Like to see Geraint Thomas do well this year too, hopefully not getting blown off his bike in Flanders as he was last year! :roll:

Just reading his book, kindly borrowed from another Retrobiker. Really good read for anyone interested

Mike

Geraint is missing the Classics this year to concentrate on his stage racing, unfortunately.
He had a great start today winning the overall at the Tour of the Algarve.
Valverde was mighty soloing away on the final climb of the Ruta del Sol today, leading home TJ Vangardren, Mollema and Mijka

Re:

Great to hear that G is going well. Pity he won't make the one day races :(
Stannard will be team leader for them, then?

Can't say I'm pleased to hear that Valverde is though, I thought he was retiring?

Back