miss matched tyres question

riddim-track

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Sorry not a particularly retro dilemma but

Need to replace tyres on my hack bike and got an odd assortment of old ones in the shed that have accumulated but no pairs. Not looking to buy anything and want to use up old stuff, have an odd range of more or less everything from 23c slicks up to 35c both slicks and various tread patterns. I expect getting the nearest pair possible is the way to go but just wondering if it's better to have more grip at the front or the rear and where the larger/smaller tyre should go in relation to each other.

The bike is used for commuting in London in all weathers

Any suggestions or informed advice welcome

Re:

there's a long mtb thread on this with the question as to validity of fashion BITD of fatter on front for steering/grip/cushioning and skinnier on rear for traction/reduced weight/and some other stuff of minor benefits, but very few arguing (but were some) for other way round. For me, skinnier on rear. You want the fatter up front to deal with the potholes if don't manage to avoid it.

Re:

Running a rigid MTB, I like the larger tyre up front to act as some sort of suspension. Plus I think it looks cool... :cool:

Also prefer the grip on the front as it's more fun when the back end slides out...

Back