6-speed Suntour New Winner freewheel.

nonowt

rBotM Winner
Is it possible to put regular spaced Suntour New Winner 6 speed sprockets onto a New Winner freewheel that currently has the Ultra narrow spaced sprockets?

The freewheel body on my regularly spaced new winner is noisy and badly pitted internally but remarkably the sprockets are in really good shape. I’ve pick up an Ultra spaced New Winner freewheel cheaply off ebay not realising that the New Winner came in different spacings. The sprockets on the ebay freewheel have a little surface rust so I’d like to use my original ones with the wider spacings (so that I don’t have to change the chain and also to keep the original look of wheel).

ta!

I think the ultra six body was different. Just take them both apart and check :)

There's a six speed new winner for sale on here for 18 quid if all else fails.

Shaun

Re:

thanks.

maybe there not both New Winners?

the New Winner that's currently on my bike has a few mil gap between the end of the body and the smallest sprocket like this:

where as with what I thought might be an Ultra, the body and the smallest sprocket are more or less flush like this:

Attachments

• NWwide.jpg
    NWwide.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 898
  • NWnarrow2.jpg
    NWnarrow2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 898
The top one is a new winner that I recognise as the small cog sticks up, sort of if they took a five speed and added another cog.

The lower could be a pro comp or an ultra or something else, Suntour was a law unto themselves!! Great fun bitd when trying to get things to fit as they had all their own standards that they changed in a whim ....

Normal cog spacing was 5.5mm and the Ultra 5.0mm so you could always measure :)

Shaun

At the time, Suntour made a point of saying the body was the same across all "speeds" so that you could build an Regular 5 or 6 freewheel or an Ultra 6 or 7 one on the same body. So you should have no problem taking the sprockets and spacers off your knackered body and putting them on the good one.

There's a scan of the information sheet here:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/stfw.html

Mark.

Thanks - that's really helpful.

The bodies look identical so I'll ( or more truthfully the LBS Will :oops: ) try and switch the sprockets over. There is about 5mm difference in the overall wideth.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Have you got a chain whip? It's not a difficult job to swap them over. The Ron Kit rep used to do it as a demo when I worked in a bike shop BITD.

Shaun

Re:

No, I'm afraid not. nor a freewheel removal tool. I might be able to borrow one though. Would it be better to remove the sprockets whilst the freewheel is still on the wheel? Cheers.

thanks.

I popped into Condor Cycles today and picked up one of their chain whips and a Park FR2 freewheel remover (both with a couple of quid knocked-off in the sale :) ) so if I can get the freewheel off the wheel I'll try and switch the sprockets next weekend :shock: . ...hopefully without destroying anything :shock: ...

Latest posts

Back