Itera Plastic bike

Senri

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

I actually don't know if this is the right section, but here it goes. I have just bought a 1983 Itera plastic bike. It is in very decent shape, but I like to go over all moving parts. Now I have a little issue getting the headset apart (or the fork out actually). Any one experience with these bikes?

Thanks!

Senri

One of these?

Itera_plastic_bicycle.jpg

: Mike

The one I came across just used a normal chain drive, just enclosed in plastic iirc. Mind you it was a long time ago!!

Shaun

Midlife":mjhslq9s said:
The one I came across just used a normal chain drive, just enclosed in plastic iirc. Mind you it was a long time ago!! Shaun
I remember seeing one not so long ago, outside Argos in Skeggness, pondered then as to ''what the hell is that thing''

Mine is just a single speed, but they were also available in 3 speed (SA). There is no tension possibility, like sliding dropouts orso, so it it uses a derailleur type of tensioner.
I did manage to get the headset out. Bearings felt pretty good, but the bottom one was a bit low on grease. These are fully closed bearings. I hoped when heating bearing grease it would become liquid, but it didn't. So i ended up squeezing it in by hand.
Not everything is fixed yet, but it seems to steer now and it brakes, well sort of. Some new brake blocks would probably help. It will be my daily commuter. Will make some pics soon.

This bike has one good point! The front forks!! If you get drunk you'll see they resemble Colnago straight forks :LOL:

But I do like it, kinda in the same league as the monkey metal road bike made by Matchbox! Forgot the name of it :roll:

Back