Jan Raas TI-Raleigh Track Frame 1978 JR178T

originalshinkicker

rBotM Winner
Some may have seen this frame kicking around a few Raleigh groups and forums. The guy who had it couldn't really establish if it was the real thing, but I think there is enough information to say this is actually a Jan Raas frame, so I got it - it's my size :). This is a 58cm TI-Raleigh frame in Chesini paint. Frame number JR 1 78 T

It has all the Raleigh frame features you would expect but also has the cut down Carlton Capella lugs that very occasionally pop up on SBDU frames. These lugs weren't widely used on SBDU frames so they are quite distintive when you see them.

3 holes in the head tube and a little red paint inside the head tube.

The forks have survived without being drilled.

75 degree head angle and 73 degree seat angle with what looks like 28mm fork rake.

I believe this is the frame Jan Raas used in the SKOL 6 Day in London in 1978 when he teamed up with World Champion Gerrie Knetemann

You can clearly see the yellow detail painted into the Capella head lug circular cut outs.

The plan is to remove the blue and yellow paint scheme and have it put back to the TI-Raleigh scheme with the same picked out Capella detail.

Attachments

• Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh.jpg
    Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 780
  • Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh Frame Detail.jpg
    Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh Frame Detail.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 780
  • Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh Paint and Head Badge Holes.jpg
    Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh Paint and Head Badge Holes.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 780
  • Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh Fork Detail.jpg
    Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh Fork Detail.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 780
  • Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh Frame Geometry.jpg
    Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh Frame Geometry.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 780
  • Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh Fork Rake-Offset.jpg
    Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh Fork Rake-Offset.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 780
  • Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh Skol 6 Day Team List.jpg
    Jan Raas JR 1 78 T SBDU Ilkeston TI-Raleigh Skol 6 Day Team List.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 780
Re: Re:

Blackbike":1prt5ser said:
That is an amazing find. I am looking forward to seeing it progress.

: Mike

Thanks, when I built my 753 Team Pro a few years ago, it took ages and almost bankrupt me. Hopefully this will be cheaper as there are only half the parts to find for a track frame... no brakes, no mechs, no gear levers, no freewheel...

Re: Re:

[/quote]Thanks, when I built my 753 Team Pro a few years ago, it took ages and almost bankrupt me. Hopefully this will be cheaper as there are only half the parts to find for a track frame... no brakes, no mechs, no gear levers, no freewheel...[/quote]

It's a disease. Before I finished my Bob Jackson I was collecting parts for a Teledyne Titan, the good news is I'm losing weight because I spend all my lunch money on parts :? .

Best Wishes: Mike :D

Really nice find and like the others, I really look forward to following the build as it progresses.

Jamie

Hoping to get it painted in a few months. Already have a few small things like seatpin, clips and straps and probably a BB, so I'll be starting the hunt for the main items, hubs/rims/chainset and headset. I don't want this to drag on for the 2 years it took to complete an earlier one.

Back