Period or modern build for 80s Gazelle?

sb88

Devout Dirtbag
I'm building up a mid-1980s Gazelle Champion Mondial, AB frame.

Not a bad problem to have, but stalling on build components.

It's going to be my 'good' bike - not going to be too precious about it - intend to ride the thing, but won't be commuting with it. So needs to perform well and not be a wall display bike. Don't race, but join brisk group rides on occasion.

I accumulated sufficient components to have option of giving it a modern build, or more 'period' build (not actually period, but early 90s)

Both will involve going from 126 --> 130mm dropouts.

Can't decide which to go with - parts listed below - thoughts appreciated

'Modern' option
- 105 11 speed hubs on Open Elite rims (not running 11 speed, but kind of makes sense to build a future-proof-ish wheel set if building from scratch)
- 105 10 speed brifters - used
- 105 10 speed front and rear mechs- used
- 10 speed cassette
- Stronglight Impact crank - used but shiny
- Brakes undecided

'Period' option - 105 'champagne' group - some NOS/some used
- 105 (1055/1056) NOS 8 speed hubs (quite pleased with these!) (1055/1056) on Open Elite rims
- 105 NOS Aero levers (1055) (white hoods - almost too much sexiness!)
- 105 (1056) used crank, front and rear mech
- 105 (1055) used brakes
- Dia-Compe bar end shifters
- 8 or 9 speed cassette

Only attraction of the 'modern' set up is 11 speed wheels which may be of use to me in the future. But having them would throw spanner in idea of having a whole vintage group set, so I might as well save the champagne 105 group for a different day.
On other hand, part of me thinks just use the champagne 8speed group - it's functionally as good as the modern 10 speed bits and no heavier, and the idea of 'future proofing' for 11 speed may prove fruitless anyway for many as Shimano accelerates the move to 12 speed, 135mm+ dropouts and discs.

One option is a mix - tempted to use the aero levers and bar end shifters (love friction shifting!) with the modern wheels and chain set.

Cheers for any input!

Sb

Crack open the champagne 105, :cool: Its inkeeping with the retro look and feel of the frame. It also sounds like your a fairly fit rider so whats the need for 3 extra gears :)

kingbling":1p6rtloa said:
Crack open the champagne 105, :cool: Its inkeeping with the retro look and feel of the frame. It also sounds like your a fairly fit rider so whats the need for 3 extra gears :)

Crack oPUN the champagne you mean... Meta pun!

8 or 9 speed's all I'll ever need. Have found my current 10sp more bother indexing wise than necessary.

Have just opened the used champagne parts from post - they maybe look a candidate for stripping off the finish and polishing - in which case bits of it wouldn't be champagne any more! Fair bit of wear and bubbling. Someone stop me before I get out the oven cleaner...

well ok not the hubs then :facepalm: I've got bits and bobs of 105 champagne and the finish isn't that good to be fair

Yeah, I'm not the hugest fan of the finish on the NOS bits actually - but saw the NOS hubs, NOS levers and used group set all on the same evening from different vendors for quite cheap and it was the oldest decent group set I could find most parts for but still be able to use modern 8sp+ hyperglide cassettes and easy to find chainring BCD.

I have a bit of a thing for 105 kit due to its more affordable, utilitarian nature for still decent quality. How I think bikes should be. When 105 goes hydro disc I will shift my affections to Tiagra... She sounds nicer anyway.

There have been some good deals on 6400 stuff lately but I guess once you've bought it why buy another. I agree its solid kit and will last you well and easy to get consumables for like you say

kingbling":2rsd0ma7 said:
There have been some good deals on 6400 stuff lately but I guess once you've bought it why buy another. I agree its solid kit and will last you well and easy to get consumables for like you say

True - if I'd been able to get a NOS 6400 8 speed set that would have made the decision for me. Drool...

Back