Quick 'divers helmet' gear cable stop ferrule question

Slimtim

Retro Guru
Hello

I have nearly finished the build of my build but I have encountered a surprising issue which due to inexperience I don't know how to overcome despite extensive googling.

The issue concerns the way the derailleur cable out engages with the braze-on on the chainstay. The braze-on is a sort of cup shape with the cable entering from the front and the opening of the cup pointing to the rear (hopefully that is clear?).

Here is an image of one http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-fra ... STEEL.html

And I have attached a pic of it as currently built with the cable end going into it but not with a ferrule.

The cable outer I'm using is standard Campagnolo shifter outer. It looks like I need a stepdown ferrule to fit the braze-on - is that the case and if so does anyone know where I can get one for gear cable outer (I have found one for brake cable outer but this is too wide to fit)?

The stepdown ferrule that came with the Campagnolo cableset isn't suitable as the narrow part is simply far too narrow and just causes the cable to flop around in the braze on (actually worse than the cable inserted on its own).

There must a very simple solution to this oddity and I am hoping some one can shine some light on it for me please. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_221358.jpg
    IMG_20160130_221358.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 945
Hmm, maybe hard to tell without the dimensions also the ferrule has a squared off end which will also wiggle about in the diver's helmet (so to speak). I rode the bike today with no ferrule and everything worked ok, just looks poor.

Slimtim":1bv5meg7 said:
just looks poor.

I think I know what you mean, the gear cable outer doesn't sit right in the guide, comes out at a funny angle and looks odd? If you fit a stepped ferrule, even if its a smaller diameter, the tension from the derailleur on the gear cable should make it sit right.

Can you take a pic :)

Shaun, the cable stop is on the bottom of the chainstay.

Robbied, I will try and add a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_221358.jpg
    IMG_20160130_221358.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 945
I had the exact same thing, I didn't use a ferrule and added a ziptie to hold the outer to the dropout, which made the outer leave the ferrule in a straight line and helped with shifting.

2015-08-30%2008.35.23_zpswvakpdig.jpg

Re:

Hi thanks that is an interesting solution which i will try if no other comes alobg. I can't believe though that there isn't a proper solution. There must be hundreds and thousands of frames out there with the divers helmet stop. Also campagnolo are strict about having a ferrule at the shifter end of the cable housing so i would have expected that requirment to apply at each join/break. Seemingly the helmet doesn't allow for that...odd.

This is the correct ferrule for the divers helmet tight fit and long enough to hold the outer cable straight

Attachments

• 20160131_110309.jpg
    20160131_110309.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 898
  • 20160131_110513.jpg
    20160131_110513.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 898
Back