Campagnolo Syncro II chain question

Hillwalker

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm looking to run a C Record/CDA based bike this year. I have all the necessary drivetrain parts, including C-Record 1st Gen RD, FD, 7 or 8 speed Regina CX freewheel/ Record Cassette, shifters (with the required inserts for 7 or 8 speed) but I still need a chain. The Campag sheet for Syncro II specifies a Sedis sport or Regina CX chain to run with my components. Wow, these are expensive! :shock:

Question: as the Campag guidance for the Syncro system is now 20+ years out of date, will a modern 7 or 8 speed chain (that didn't exist BITD when the guidance was devised) run just as well? I was thinking of using an SRAM or KMC 8 speed chain. These are designed for indexing so should be fine??

All advice appreciated

HW

Re:

I've used several different chains on Syncro I and II with several different 7sp freewheels and rear mechs (period correct and older Nuovo/Super Record), and never noticed any difference in shifting. In fact, I think the worst shifting I got was from an Athena 7sp set up with the recommended Rohloff chain...
Most recently been running 8sp Chorus with a SRAM 8sp chain with no problems.
Nick

Back