Help identifying old Claud Butler

lucyweath

Retro Newbie
Is anyone here an expert on old Claud Butler bikes? I need to identify the model number and date of my new project bike.

I've disassembled it and found some clues, but after a lot of searching I can't seem to find a bike that matches it. I was thinking late 70s given the brake calipers are stamped 77 and the hubs are stamped 78, but am very confused now i've taken the handlebar tape off to find a 58 stamp?? The steerer tube is stamped: 008135, but there seems to be no logical way of deciphering this number.

I'm looking to restore it keeping as close to the original as possible.

http://s411.photobucket.com/user/lucywe ... d%20Butler

I've filled in as many details as I can remmeber off the top of my head but will try and fill in the gaps when I get home this evening.

Frame:
Fork: Reynolds 531

Headset:
Stem:
Handlebar: GB (stamped 5:cool:
Bar Tape:

Brake Levers: Weinmann
Brake Callipers: Weinmann Vainqueur 610 Centre Pulls (stamped 77)
Brake Pads:

Shifters: Campagnolo
Front Derailleur:
Rear Derailleur: Suntour Vx
Cassette: Regina Extra
Cranks:
Chainrings:
Bottom Bracket:
Pedals:

Rims: rusted
Hubs: ‘Atom’ (stamped 7:cool:
Tyres:
Tubes:

Saddle:
Seatpost:
Seatpost Binder:

Extras: Bluemels Club Special Mudguards, Bluemels Bicycle Pump, Panier Rack (stamped 7:cool:

Re:

Hi, plenty of clues, that reynolds decal was produced between 1973 and 1977, the brake date stamp looks okay, the serial number was all over the place mid seventies, so 1977 looks good. Catalogues and history can be found at http://www.nkilgariff.com/ as far the model is concerned. Terry

Thanks Terry for the link. Looking at the catalogue I'm thinking a late 1977 / early 1978 Claud Butler Cresta, with the panniers being added on at a later stage as an extra.

Re:

The Holdsworthy Company built and supplied these to the trade as complete bikes and frames, so the equipment could be anything that fitted.

Keith

Re:

+1 for 78' Cresta.

I had one recently, which I researched, frame no. 008548. Originally it came with Campagnolo Valentino Extra derailleurs, which were not the best and had been replaced, but the Campag shifters remained. It had an SR 'Silstar' chainset if I remember.
The frame was plain gauge 531 tubing, unusual for an entry level bike, which made for a comfortable ride.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, the closeness to your frame number seems to confirm it.

There's quite a lot of rust on the frame so I'm getting it completely reprayed now I've managed to source some original dryfix type decals for the forks that match the current ones. I'm thinking going a different colour but I'd like it as close to original colour choices as possible. In the catalogue it mentions "obtainable in any of four new colours" but neglects to say what these are! Any ideas?

Back