Which classic looking long drop brakes?

cycletothesea

Retro Guru
I've been busy building up a Holdsworth Super Mistral, but have used some nice campag 700c wheels. However the frame and forks appear to have been made for a slightly larger wheelset (28 inch?? or something). Anyhoo, I bought some Tektro long drop brakes, since my campag nuovo record ones which I was saving for this build just don't reach the rims. However, the Tektro's look a bit big and clumsy on an otherwise classic campag build. So are there any sidepull brake calipers out there which have a suitable vintage feel to them but have a longer drop on them? Thanks for any help.

Is the drop too far for long reach Campag brakes? I know they're not too common but you could use the Tektros until you find some Campag ones.

Mark.

Mark: Never come across any Campag Record long drop brakes, don't like the later campag brakes. Do you know a model number or something for Campag long drop calipers?

Re:

Campag Record calipers were longer in the 70's.
Campag Gransport longer calipers went well into the 80's
Then there are various versions of DuraAce which were longer, some 600's and then 6400's.

If you look at the bike on this thread, it has some older long drop duraAce brakes

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=340784

Re:

You may have a problem, retro long drop side pulls that work are rare. There are lots deep drop Weinmann brake that will fit, but they not know for their stopping power.
My favourites from that era are Universal 68’s, these came in two drop sizes, 41-54mm and 47-63mm.

Re: Re:

Boscarn":1cpuk7jo said:
There are lots deep drop Weinmann brake that will fit, but they not know for their stopping power.

That's what I thought, I've don't recall seeing many nice looking Campag Record with a deep drop.

I had the very same problem a while ago and found some CLB calipers. They look pretty good and polish nicely although the longer the caliper the worse the braking I find.

Ideally, you need 27" x 1 1/4" wheels to reduce the caliper drop. I think the Weinmann Vainqueur centre pulls were popular on Holdsworth Mistrals.

CLB:
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... -comp.html

Theres a few what must be old stock on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-80-S- ... SwI-BWJy3p

They are calling them short reach, but 65mm isn't bad depending on what you need :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks all.

But if I can't find a classy looking set of Campags with a long drop, I might as well stick with the Tektro's for now. Thanks for advice though.

P.

Re: Re:

Boscarn":34v0sr08 said:
You may have a problem, retro long drop side pulls that work are rare. There are lots deep drop Weinmann brake that will fit, but they not know for their stopping power.

Agreed. However if you can tolerate more modern levers then things improve dramatically. Running Shimano RSX with quality modern cables really improved things on my Viking over the old Weinman levers but keeping the Weinmann brakes. The bike had 27" with mudguards and enough drop that the old mid-drop RX100s wouldn't fit. OK, you probably don't want aero levers, but experimenting a little with different ones may improve things dramatically - and there's a load more choice.

If you have tight enough clearances, the mid-drop RX100 brakes might be worth a look. IIRC they are 57-67mm or thereabouts.

Back