Retro road - what am I missing?

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've only ridden modern road bikes :oops:

I'm having a bike clear-out, once I have space.... I obviously will fill it straight away! I've built countless retro mtbs, but never delved into retro road. What am I missing?

I've discovered modern 'racers' are too extreme and have just purchased an 'endurance' bike, which is marketing speak for road bike that won't break you! So what I think I'd like is something retro, comfortable and looks good. Potentially something with the ability to do a light tour would nearly be a justifiable purchase - I haven't got something that'll do that.

SP

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

The answer to your question "what am I missing" - for a start the sheer pleasure of owning something with a "classic" look. You might also be surprised how light an old bike built with Reynolds 531 is. But to me one of the joys of an older road bike is how relatively straightforward it is to maintain/repair/change components. I watched a vid on youtube how to repair a campag ergo lever.. **** that I'll stick with my down tube levers thanks.

There is also the hours of pleasure you can have surfing the net for classic parts..

As for what to buy, I take the view there's little point in buying something like a Raleigh or Dawes when you could get something a little more interesting for the same money. Unless it is something very special eg a Hetchins a really good steel frame from a respected builder needn't cost more than £250 and a lot less if it needs repainting.

There was a lovely 1950's Paragon (complete bike) went for £195 on ebay recently I'm still kicking myself. An Arthur Caygill from 1980 sold for £205 they don't come much better. If buying on ebay try and find something that looks like it's being sold by an enthusiast ie a proper description/photos. Quite often these guys just want the thing to go to an appreciative home.

Retro road is a gentlemanly way of wandering around the countryside. They can go off road too. Parts are still cheap and are just as easy to play around with.

legrandefromage":1nceg4os said:
Retro road is a gentlemanly way of wandering around the countryside. They can go off road too. Parts are still cheap and are just as easy to play around with.

Carradice on the back, thermos, cake, map, very civilised. I love it.

Back