Original frame finish, how important is it...

Brian1946

Devout Dirtbag
Hi
It's a bit late now but I have started to wonder if it's of any real importance when restoring a frame/forks to bring them back to original finish/colour?

I've restored my 1995 Langdale Lightweight 653 frame and forks. When I bought it, the forks, seat stays and chain stays were chromed, the rest of the frame finished in a very dark grey metallic with the usual Langdale decals.

I've had it resprayed a different colour and two tone with a barber's pole on the seat tube, I didn't have it re-chromed as I was advised against doing so by the shop. I also wanted a different decal to the originals. A couple of pics attached. I've since fitted Chorus 8 speed ergolevers.

I suppose it's my choice in the end but does it matter!

Attachments

• DSCF2177 (600x800).jpg
    DSCF2177 (600x800).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 732
  • DSCF2179 (600x800).jpg
    DSCF2179 (600x800).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 732
Re:

That's lovely!
I don't think it's important at all. When all's said and done, and no matter how swanky it is, paint is only really a protection for the frame. And swankiness is subjective, some may think something looks great where others would prefer something different. If you like it and it means the bike can be ridden for many more years, then paint it how you want.

I like that!! it would be a tedious hobby if everything looked the same, doing something individual is what makes it interesting!

For me, I would say whether you repaint depends on the age of the bike. I have a 1937 bike with very little original paint left on the frame but I would never repaint it. The paint or 'patina' as they love to call it these days, has become part of the history and soul of the bike. To repaint it would kind of distroy that and would also look weird to me.

However, I also have a 1981 bike that I stripped and repainted because I didn't like the colour. I have a Jack Taylor where I also don't like the colour but I would never repaint it, because Jack Taylor painted it originally!

I guess at the end of the day, get something, or create something you like and ride it :)

Nice bike btw :)

Thanks for the supportive comments, here's a picture of it in original livery.

Now I've dug that out it's reminded me of why I had it painted it a different colour, I would have liked to re chrome it but was really warned off about the likely effect of a second application process on the thin tubing.

Attachments

• Langdale pre2012.JPG
    Langdale pre2012.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 692
No contest before vs. after. And with Delta's & Shamals you have plenty of high end kit supplement the frame. Lovely job.

I think you made a big improvement. Notts Derbys border, barber's pole paint, did Mercian do the paint by any chance?

Very good deduction, yes Mercian did the repaint for me. I always admired the barber's pole on Mercian's bikes so 'in for a penny...'

Latest posts

Back