What Brakes?

longjon

Dirt Disciple
Sorry if this is really simple, I have a bog standard steel mid 80's Falcon and the rear brake is not working, seems to have lost its torsion. They're side pull brakes on steel rims :shock:
Which makes wet braking an experience as it is, let alone relying on the front one only, I am going to keep my eyes out for an alloy set and/or try leather blocks or the Kool Stops recommended by Sheldon Brown, I just want a pointer to a decent replacement brake caliper, I have lever, I have cable, I just have no brake mech, I am looking to spend around £20 ideally, I saw a nicw Campy set on the Halfords website ( http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-pa ... AhTk8P8HAQ ) for a little more but want to make sure they will fit on my bike before buying. Can anybody link me to some decent sets please?

Firstly we kinda need to know the length of the drop on the calliper this will decide on which brake you can use i.e long drop or short drop most modern bikes run short drops if the falcon fits in this category then really any dual pull calliper would improve the braking.
There are other points you may need to take into consideration firstly a single dual pull brake would best be situated on the front as it is more powerful and would increase the chances of lock up if fitted on the rear.
The next point to consider is type of fitment wether nut or allen key, as far as I'm aware all dual pulls are allen key fitment, although some frames can be adapted to take an allen key fitting brakes by drilling out the hole on the frame and fork. If your are not sure post up some photos and seek advice.
That campagnolo brake is not for you, as you have mentioned yours are side pull and that is a centre pull to fit this and operate it you will need an additional cable guide. I can supply you with a pair of shimano 1055 dual pull brakes from the early to mid nineties which would fit on if you have allen key fitment on your frame for £20 posted or place an add in the wanted road section on the forum. I Would also recommend changing the pads so they suit a steel wheel as suggested by sheldon brown no matter which calliper you buy.

For the period look try some 70s GB Synchons with a modern brake block set up, such as Kool Stop...

The Synchron were an early dual pivot brake and work very well once set up. Just a though.

No idea what drop you would need but I use, for example some Shimano 105 dual pivots. Great brake. Reckon they date from the early 90's. Something like that should be cheap if you see them as by no way are they of any value.

Back