Vitus Repair

kingbling

rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi all I think I may know the answer to this but I'd like some other opinions still.
Can you replace the drear dropouts on a bonded Vitus frame the rear hanger mount is snapped in 2 at the bolt hole for the rear mech do you have any views or ideas to repair methods i.e tig welding or chemical bonding

Thanks

Clive

I saw this very thing quite recently but can't vouch for it's longevity. The guy had crashed and snapped the derailleur & hanger off a 979. Drive side drop-out change completed with some industrial compound glue of significant strength. But he'd then drilled through the frame and dropout and installed a pin of some sort in a north-south direction. He'd then welded the pin at entry / exits and filed it down - it looked neat apart from the loss of anodising around the welds. It wasn't a show bike - just a winter bike. I asked him why he'd pinned and welded it; he said that as there's no info on the strength of the original glue vs. what he'd used he wanted an insurance policy as such and he was worried about the dropout rotating under load. Made sense to me.

Thanks Finney
yes good point I'd use something along the lines of chemical metal which I've used before next question where can I get one from

Thanks again I have used their products before not on metal but plastic I was rather enquiring where I could get another drop out from cheers

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
a broken frame is the only option for a replacement dropout I reckon? in fairness, the dropout is slightly different on that carbon frame vs. a mk2 979. might be easier just to get another frame :facepalm:

Back