AJS Bicycle (Did they even make a bicycle?)

Big_Jon_93

Dirt Disciple
Hello

I was wondering if anyone had any information on AJS bicycles (If AJS even made bicycles). I'll tell you the story

Now my neighbour who is 90+. Me and him were talking about bikes because he knew I was into cycling. He said when he was a young man he brought a AJS bicycle second hand. It arose my interest partly because it be a old bike and partly I never really heard of AJS making bicycles. Motorcycles yes, but not Bicycles. I thought maybe they made bicycles before they made motorcycles like some motorcycle manufactures did. But I did doubt it. Did he really mean AJS, is he just getting confused. He's mind is still sharp, he's quicker at maths then I am, and I am alright. I looked around on google and as soon as you stick "AJS" and "Cycle" or "Bike" together you just get motorcycles. When I was at a country show there was a man with vintage bikes there, some pre 1900. I was talking to him about it and he looked at me like I was talking s***. Which wasn't a good sign. I was talking to my neighbours son and he said it was a AJS. So if two people say it is, maybe it is. He also said I could have it. Which was nice. But if it has any money value to it, it go straight back to my neighbour because not interested it that. If it rare and not few left I just want it to go the right owner/museum maybe who can restore it maybe and look after it properly. Probably turns out it might be worth nothing because they were common as muck back in the day but you never know.

I was just simply wondering. Since they say "everything is on the internet" but yet I am to found much on AJS bicycles. Any responce would be much appricated.

Regards

Jon

I'm inclined to agree. ^^

In my motorcycle days I was the proud owner of a competition 350 single and I have quite a few books on the marque history. I have just had a look through them and I can find no reference to bicycles at all. So it would seem that A.J Stevens of Wolverhampton did not make bicycles. That does not mean that the bicycle in question was not an AJS, it just means it's unlikely to have been built by the motorcycle manufacturer. There may well have been a cycle maker going by the same initials in a different part of the country.
Perhaps a question to the VCC might be in order.

Yeah I am starting to think that maybe it was just another man no relation to AJS motorcycles made push bikes and called them AJS. Or another train of thought was that. Maybe did AJS thought the motorcycles are doing well, but we can't sell motorcycles to children, so we will make/or buy some pushbikes and put AJS on them to get the brand established with children so when they are at motorbike buying age they would think I had a AJS pushbike, I'll buy a AJS motorbike. Doubt it somehow.

I best and go and have a look at the bike soon. To clarify what it is.

If you can show us some detail close up pics of lugs, components etc we may be able to recognise something. I think its more likely BSA.

Keith

Re:

it is possible that your neighbour may be right but has got a little confused on the marque as AJS motorcycles were made and came out of the same Plumstead factory as Matchless motorcycles and they started life as bicycle manufacturers << http://www.matchlesslondon.com/en/heritage/ >>...as a nipper back in the 50's I lived up the hill from the factory and often saw AJS/Matchless motorbikes being ridden up and down on their test rides prior to leaving the factory,

Griff

Re: Re:

Excel":1303s375 said:
it is possible that your neighbour may be right but has got a little confused on the marque as AJS motorcycles were made and came out of the same Plumstead factory as Matchless motorcycles and they started life as bicycle manufacturers << http://www.matchlesslondon.com/en/heritage/ >>...as a nipper back in the 50's I lived up the hill from the factory and often saw AJS/Matchless motorbikes being ridden up and down on their test rides prior to leaving the factory,

Griff
AJS & Matchless Motor cycles merged in 1938 to become Associated Motor Cycles =AMC at the Plumstead Road factory so if the bike in question is older it will have no connection with AMC the original AJS = AJ Stevens were based in the west Midlands with their head office being Wolverhampton

Back