Can someone please explain the attraction of road riding?

fattiman

Senior Retro Guru
I just don't get it but thought there must be a reason why people do it?
"I love breathing clouds of diesel fumes as cars accelerate to overtake me whilst I am breathing deep on a climb, I love the way the cars nearly brush my elbows on passing, I love the verbal abuse off drivers, I love the fact that drivers don't see me at junctions" ....... Etc etc
Why the hell do you guys do it? Is it to emulate the TDF riders who have the privilege of closed roads?

Depends on where you live. I live in the Shire - a quiet place between the A14 at Thrapston, the A1 at Peterborough and the A14/A1 interchange at Alconbury. This is full of empty pleasant woldy style road riding.

I dont like venturing further out as it is exactly as you describe.

Took the words out of my mouth LGF. Out here I would. Elsewhere I wouldn't. Road riding is very pleasant, clean, smooth, non-taxing sightseeing at a quiet self-determined pace.

If you go by yourself.

DSCF3139_zpsqveqagaw.jpg

Re:

Don't bother with all the lycra stuff, just put some slicks on your MTB and find yourself some rides on roads like this.... :cool:

Attachments

• 1st ride of the season 008.JPG
    1st ride of the season 008.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 718
Re: Re:

LikeClockwork":38rvg7oy said:
Don't bother with all the lycra stuff, just put some slicks on your MTB and find yourself some rides on roads like this.... :cool:
Where is that please

Re:

Speed. Country lanes. You stay clean. Things don't wear out so fast. Faster cornering. You don't have to keep opening and shutting knackered gates! You can go further without feeling as knackered.

Nothing to do with emulating TdF riders

You could ask why mtb riders do it, given the opposite of the points above.

Try it, you may like it

Mike

fattiman":2nl7kb48 said:
I just don't get it but thought there must be a reason why people do it?
"I love breathing clouds of diesel fumes as cars accelerate to overtake me whilst I am breathing deep on a climb, I love the way the cars nearly brush my elbows on passing, I love the verbal abuse off drivers, I love the fact that drivers don't see me at junctions" ....... Etc etc
Why the hell do you guys do it? Is it to emulate the TDF riders who have the privilege of closed roads?
you need some more map reading skills. Even London based friends can find moderately empty lanes within striking distance. The UK actually has masses of quiet lanes that a huge number of people don't even know exist, let alone drive along them like cretins.

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":3mnp0q4x said:
Speed. Country lanes. You stay clean. Things don't wear out so fast. Faster cornering. You don't have to keep opening and shutting knackered gates! You can go further without feeling as knackered.

Nothing to do with emulating TdF riders

You could ask why mtb riders do it, given the opposite of the points above.

Try it, you may like it

Mike

I have no doubt I would like it if..... There were no cars on the road!

Back