campagnolo rh3c record rear hub rebuild

ktuludays

Old School Hero
Hi Guys

stripped these hubs a few years ago and have totally forgotten where the bearings go on the drive side of the freewheel. it doesn't seem obvious

hubs are same as these in pic:
http://www.hilarystone.com/images/sale% ... rd-36H.jpg

i have 18 large bearings and the axle has what looks like a place for the cone to run on the bearings and then a double inner race if that makes sense. you can see it in picture.

any ideas how to rebuild it? cheers in advance

Rob

Re:

Hello and happy New Year to you!

This looks like a bog-standard cup-and-cone hub, if it's the same as the ones in the link you gave to Hilary Stone's web site - the fact that it is a rear only makes a difference in so far as the spacers that sit on the gear side need to be correct for the rear-end spacing of the frame it's going back into and need to give you enough space for whatever freewheel you are indending to fit ...

If you want a guide as to assembly sequence, you could strip the front hub and lay the parts out in order (if you have the front hub) as apart from the additional spacers on the gear side and the difference in the size & number of ballbearings, they are the same.

If you don't have a suitable hub to copy, have a look at the schematics on the Campag website for the Pista hub (again, basically the same, that's a standard cup-and-cone design) - just go to http://www.camapgnolo.com, then "Support" and "Documentation" and then "Spare Parts" - the spare parts listings include exploded diagrams.

It sounds as if you might not be sure how to correctly adjust the hub (if assembly isn't clear to you) so to prevent any damage to the hub, a visit to your LBS and paying them to do it might be the best route.

HTH
Graeme

Re:

Thanks Graeme. That's perfect. The drawing did the job. I'm happy to adjust the cones. I forgot to mention that the freewheel was still on so I couldn't see the bearing position.

Re: Re:

ktuludays":n8ti69vh said:
Thanks Graeme. That's perfect. The drawing did the job. I'm happy to adjust the cones. I forgot to mention that the freewheel was still on so I couldn't see the bearing position.

Got it - makes sense now :)
Happy to assist!

Back