show us youre pennine seat stay artwork

Retro junkie

Retro Guru
recently purchased an unknown frame with a terrible respray only because the lugs were nervex pro and knew it was something better than the respray it was wearing.so i started to rub it in places to try find clues.nothing could be found except something weird on the rear seat stays.tiny child like paintings of blue water at the bottom,then black fern trees at the foot of a snow capped mountain with blue sky above it.seven days passed of search after search,then bingo a close match which had to be from the same stable.turns out to be a pennine,and an early pennine at that.these tiny paintings are really cool and apparently were only done for special customers painted by the frame builders wife at pennine cycles in bradford who are still alive and kicking today, so if tou have a pennine with these paintings lets see them

That sounds incredibly cool!!! Can you post photos as this is something I have to see. Is this a touring frame?

: Mike :xmas-cool:

Should have asked before searching :) or maybe I missed that post.
It is a trademark of theirs and can be found on most of their machines posted. It always looks really cool and it is always very individualistic.
Great find and even better if you got it at a good price. Are the stay paintings salvageable? If not you can either get them done again or do them yourself.
Always good to hear of something nice being found.

Jamie

pennine-cole-rb2.JPG

Not my bike but we used to sell them in the shop I worked in.

Made a change from the usual stripes .. :)

Shaun

Cheers Shaun
I remember seeing a couple with the triangle mountains in the background as well.

Jamie

These intrigue me now :LOL:
I first spotted one on a good friends bike back in Australia and at the time thought he painted it there, it was the sort of cool guy he was. The one on his bike was similar to the orange one below but with two black triangles for mountains in the background.
Then I seen one or two when I came to the UK and realised the truth and also what he had been riding. The one on his machine was very similar, if not the same as the one I first seen over here, hence I thought it was a standard thing. I have only seen a couple in the flesh and a couple on line, mainly at Hilary Stones site.
Shaun sounds like the knowledgeable man on this ;) What else can you tell us mate.

Jamie

seat-lug by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Pennine-blue-4420 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

I worked at Cliff Pratt Cycles in the 70's and just into the 80's and one of my jobs was cleaning the frames hanging in the shop, including a couple of Pennines. Strangely enough,the one I hated cleaning was a Speedwell Titanium as it felt odd and warm, would love to have one now!

Pennine's light had started to fade by then as fashions had changed, Wheelbases were getting short and lugs, bottom brackets and dropouts were being drilled, sliced and diced. They didn't seem to have a "halo", We used to put a Raleigh Pro next to the Europa's which made them easy to sell. Money was tight with the 3 day week and strikes and lots of businesses were struggling.

Having said that Pennine frames were as solid as they come, rather like Ellis Briggs.... just not in fashion. They did have a following in the 70's from the touring crowd who wanted a good "demi-course", a lightweight frame for touring. I would like to have one in my stable :)

The frames we had in the shop had the tree / mountain scenes on the stays. we never knew why just that a lot of them did as a feature.

Chris Marshall worked for them who does sterling work on the restoration front for frames like these:) I have spoken to him on the phone about restoring some of my frames but, like me, he has no website nor a delivery service which is a bit tricky.

I'm sure Chris would love to put the frame back to how it was when it left Pennine :)

As an aside, that blue frame 2 posts above does not have a scene I would recognise from a 70's Pennine..

Shaun

Latest posts

Back