Alternative 90's headset?

399road

Dirt Disciple
Hi, just collecting some 90''s parts up for my 1993 M and B Dronfield and I need a nice headset. The bike has a worn out Veloce one. I've decided to upgrade the group set from Veloce to Record, but can't believe how much a used 93 one is! Anyway...this got me looking at alternatives. I can get a brand new 2015 Record one which looks completely wrong with the bold Record logo across it for about 40 quid. Others I've seen are used Stronglite Delta, used Mavic and some really 90's looking Miche ones. The other alternative is to pull my immaculate 90''s Record one out of my old Lo Pro and stick a Dura Ace in this to match it's groupset. The Miche seems to be the better option and I thought J E James had one, but they're out of stock. Can anyone suggest anything else or anywhere I could get a Miche one from? It is a 1" threaded headset and the brand new Record one seems dead tempting, but I know it'll annoy me to hell, when it isn't period correct.Thanks....Luke.

Re:

if you already have one to hand then keep the money in your pocket.seems a no brainer to me.if the low pro does not get used what you waiting for,just pick one up at a later date for the l/p. by the way im very impatient and suffering from man flu

Re:

Thanks for the reply. Lo pro is a Concorde and has Dura ace rear mech and single chainset, but has Record headset, hubs and bottom bracket. This headset's been in since '91, so didn't really want to rob it and it's got no spanner rash either. Sensible thing or no brainer like you said was to rip it out and about 80 quid gets me a new old stock Dura ace one which will look bang on, but it still seems wrong.

The "Record" logo on the new Campagnolo threaded headset is an ink stamp and is removed easily with a dab of methylene chloride based paint stripper on a Q-Tip, and the stripper does not damage the anodizing. Here is what it looks like without the logo.

: Mike :D

Re:

Did wonder about that. Yours looks nice and old school without that logo. Thanks for that and I can get one of those easily and know that the quality is good.

Re: Re:

399road":bphz0q5t said:
Did wonder about that. Yours looks nice and old school without that logo. Thanks for that and I can get one of those easily and know that the quality is good.

Its a nice piece of hardware, it has weather seals, smooth as butter, and very lightweight. I was having the same concerns as you, finding a headset that that looked appropriate without paying "Vintage Campagnolo" prices for a "near mint" :roll: headset. I think you will be happy with the Campy headset if you decide to go that way. I can appreciate period correct and I admire anyone that has the patience to complete a restoration, that being said my current build has parts and components that span from new to 50 years, as I build pretty much to match my own aesthetic and make my self happy.
Your project sounds like a lot of fun, can you post some photos?

Best Wishes: Mike :D

Re: Re:

Blackbike":51z3n8zt said:
399road":51z3n8zt said:

Its a nice piece of hardware, it has weather seals, smooth as butter, and very lightweight. I was having the same concerns as you, finding a headset that that looked appropriate without paying "Vintage Campagnolo" prices for a "near mint" :roll: headset. I think you will be happy with the Campy headset if you decide to go that way. I can appreciate period correct and I admire anyone that has the patience to complete a restoration, that being said my current build has parts and components that span from new to 50 years, as I build pretty much to match my own aesthetic and make my self happy.
Your project sounds like a lot of fun, can you post some photos?

Best Wishes: Mike :D
Hi Mike, i'm struggling with the photos. I've taken a few, but don't seem to be able to post them as the files are too big. I'll have another attempt this week and thanks again.
Kermitgreenkona, Yes, I like the look of that Sachs one too, but the Mavic and Miche ones look like they'd suit my bike better. You'll see when I work out how to post pictures this week. Thanks...Luke.

Nice info there Mike, thanks for sharing :)
Also that's a real lovely looking Bob Jackson you have as well ;)

Jamie

Jamiedyer":2xovtzle said:
Nice info there Mike, thanks for sharing :)
Also that's a real lovely looking Bob Jackson you have as well ;)

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, the Bob Jackson should be done in the next week or so and I will post some photos.
Have a great holiday.
: Mike :xmas-big-grin:

Back