Shocking braking in the rain!

GunterP

Dirt Disciple
I am running my 1986 Raleigh with the original chromed wheels and brakes. The moment they get wet, my braking is reduced by about 90%, meaning that emergency stops are out of the question. I have to slow down for junctions 1/2 a mile away, and consider using a foot on the ground as well!

Any suggestions on what I can do to improve this?

Thanks,

Gunter.

Attachments

• Brakes.JPG
    Brakes.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 2,371
Chromed rims? That is part of the experience I'm afraid. You used to get leather inserts in some brake blocks which were supposed to help, but I'm not sure they did.

Back in the day Rigida and other manufacturers put dimples into the braking surfaces of chrome rims to improve braking, all it did was make a noise like a diving Stuka while you ran in the back of the bus. leather brake blocks were available but the clever money bought alloy (Weinmann) rims :)

Shaun

That's what I was afraid of, having to buy new wheels :-(

Maybe it will just have to be a dry weather bike!

Re:

Really really soft compound brake blocks may help, but the whole set up is quite frankly dreadful, as for emergency stops carry a pump and shove it in your front wheel and hope for the best ;)

Sounds like an opotunity to treat yourself to another bike for wet weather :xmas-wink:
Or just jam your foot between rear tyre and seat stays :LOL:

Re:

I found on bikes that are rarely used or not used for sometime, the rubber blocks can go hard and almost glaze so the rubber rarely grips.

When that has happened I normally take some sandpaper to the blocks to remove the hard surface and return it to soft gripping rubber and if that fails just buy some new blocks.

I use these on my Dunlop Special Stainless rims
http://www.fibrax.com/rim-pads/road/com ... per-blocks
product_zoom_image_3677_1445460302.jpg

but that bike only gets ridden in the dry. These pads are designed for grip on steel rims in the wet.

Back