Recessed allen bolt fixing for brakes....start date?

Boscarn

rBotM Winner
When did the recessed allen bolt fixing for brakes first become available?
I have an old 1982 Freewheel catalogue and the Dia compe Gran Compe Aero brakes were available the recessed allen bolts.
Any others?

From memory, the Shimano AX aero brakes from 1981 had Allen key fittings. My memory might burst into life later and think of something earlier than '81.

Shaun

Re:

Thanks Shaun, I have just found the Dura ace BR-7300's in the 1982 Shimano Bicycle system components catalogue, your memory is correct. They are recessed bolt fitting and they stared to manufacture and supply sometime in 1981.
Any others, when did Campag join in?

I'm interested in the answer to this as my 1977 Team Professional has recessed brakes (Super Record, now) and I have always assumed that it started life with nuts and was converted later.

I left for Uni in September 1978 and I can't remember any allen key brakes on mainstream bikes at that time.

Shaun

Quick check of some of my late 70's frames to hand in the garage (ALAN, Thompson, Rory O'Brien, Aende) all have nutted brake bridges. Check of 1983 Carlton Pro and 1983 Raleigh Pro show Allen key fittings.

Shaun

Here's some of my brakes

left = First gen Dura ace nutted

middle = nutted Campag Nuovo record from the mid 70's cut down for Allen keys

right = Shimano Dura ace EX from 78-84 which is when they changed over from nutted to allen key. 1981 is my guess

28m6o.jpg

Shaun

Also interested, as my 78 Gazelle has a recessed allen nut on the fork, and the fork is original, the numbers match. I thought it may have been drilled at some point, but the chrome around the hole is perfect. I would have thought the drilling would likely have caused some damage.

Bruce

I think the answer will be in the manufacturers catalogues. Frame makers would continue to use old stock and modify the forks and brake bridges as necessary.

This I think is from 1979 with nutted brakes.........

p44-du10.jpg

Shaun

I'd say 1980. I've found a US Bianchi sales brochure dated 1980 showing the Super Corsa and Super Leggera with allen key fixings. The '79 team bikes as used in the Giro had nuts..

Paul
Devizes, Wiltshire

Back