Would you buy an ex-pro bike, if he was a confirmed doper?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just wondering what everyone's take would be on this. I was in the LBS today, and he had a rather nice but very neglected lo-pro with a 26" front wheel and all original components, right down to the tubs. He said someone had taken it in for restoration, but was already thinking of doing a bodge job, especially with the 26" front wheel. From what my LBS owner said, the owner of the bike probably doesn't really know or appreciate what he has. He might be willing to sell, I think...

The name on the TT meant nothing to me, but 2 minutes with google cleared that up. From what I've found out, he wasn't a big name pro, but wasn't too bad either (quite a few placings and a couple of wins). And there is a high chance, I think, that the bike was used in the Tour. But the ex-pro also failed a dope test, and also confessed later to having doped.

What would you do, if you had the chance to buy a bike like this?

Re:

Buy it if you want it. The name is only paint deep and a sticker should cure that. The bike hasnt been doping. Only the silly begger on it.Nothing to do with what you are buying.If he was fairly high up ( for whatever reason ) its probably a decent machine. Go for it.
Peter

I completely understand your dilema here.
I purchased an ex Cofidis TT bike, branded Decathlon but the frame is a Cyfac, absolutely mint with Campagnolo Record 10 speed.
The downside?
I decided I was buying the bike, not any association with the rider.
Also, in reality it would be very difficult to find any team bike from certain eras that would not be similarly tainted.

All bikes have a past, good or bad. Just buy it if you want it :)

I think the only thing that would put me off if someone died on it.

Shaun

More or less what I thought then. I don't really need it or even want it, but couldn't bear to see it bodged into something for everyday use by someone who doesn't appreciate what it is! Will try and get my hands on it, if he's willing to sell. I won't say what it is or who's it was, not yet at least.

To be honest I don't care either way whether they 'fail' a dope test or not, as I suspect most are doping but haven't been caught.
But regardless, it's a bike, and it's to be ridden, so I'd buy it if it's worth it - and even as an investment it is probably worth buying if at a reasonable cost.

Re:

Hold it upside down in the shop & shake it, if white powder falls everywhere you may be able to negotiate some extra discount.
Don't pay over the odds. If you like the bike, ride it but don`t buy it just because it has an association with a 'someone'.

Back