brampton headset

Retro junkie

Retro Guru
hi all im normally into retro mountain bikes but recently saw a possibly late 40s racer at my local car boot so i purchased it without a second thought as all the mtbs were tat and hate to go home empty handed.turned out to have a list of good parts on further inspection.campag gran sport rear mech,brampton headset,a 27 campag record seatpost,brooks champion swift saddle,gb courier hibdinium brakes,gb tourer bars rear wheel is steel but has a campag large flange hub with campag gear block.unfortunately its been poorly resprayed but has nervex pro lugs and forks have a simplex stamp on the drop outs has a grease nipple on underside of bb, rear dropouts are marked as brev campagnolo.tried rubbing it down in places to see if any makers marks but cant see anything.i am convinced this is something nice and valuable, does look very much like a flying scot or along the lines of a mercian,or even a hobbs?? is this something i should strip to get the most money?

Simplex started in the late 50's iirc and started to get into their stride in the 60's so might be a little later than the 40's. If there is no head badge, pictures of the holes there could help along with the usual pictures of the frame.

Shaun

Back