Gumwall Winter Tyres?

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Can anyone recommend a decent winter tyre in the good old fashioned gumwall style that's not too tractor-like but won't blow a sidewall at the first pothole?? :shock:

Thanks.

Craig

I had a good look around and couldn't find anything except the Panaracers above. Its all personal preference but I'm not a big fan so decided to sacrifice amber walls for winter. I went for Vittoria Rubino Pro's which have been really good. As it turned out they are so covered in shit most of the time the amber wall wouldn't matter :)

Re:

+1 for Rubino Pro's as winter tyre, I use them on my (future classic?) Caad9 winter bike. Possibly slightly less grippy than Open Pave's but cheaper, more puncture resistant and better rolling. Regular Rubino are rubbish though and comically bad in the wet

With Vittoria tyres, 'Pro' usually denotes that the tyre has a folding bead. As far as I know, there's no difference in the actual tread design, compound and carcass from the standard Rubino.
Paselas are great in wet weather, but useless as soon as it snows or freezes. As has been said, gumwalls get filthy in winter - why eliminate so many good black tyres from your search?

My only recommendation is Continental Grand Prix but they're not very gumwall. I got my first pair in the mid 90s so they could be considered classic. I've been thinking about Vittoria CXs as a suitable modern tan wall equivalent. Still plenty of life in the Continentals though!

Re:

Conti gatorskins. Good tread, fairly lightweight and a brown (not quite gum coloured) sidewall. And widths from 23 to 32 mm

Dont forget the venerable Michelin World Tours, solid big lumps of rubber that are keenly priced and give good solid service. Look wonderful too.

Challange strada 27mm or strada bianca 30 mm. 4000km on the bianca ' s so far no punctures and they are jot worn. I ride on chappy don't make any attempt to avoid debris hit lots of holes and these are the best tyres I have ever ridden. They are not the fastest but they not a marathon plus either.

Back