80s Raleigh bottom bracket

DrewSavage

Retro Guru
Hello - I am about to have a couple of Raleigh frames powder coated, and when I build them up again I think I'd like to go with a modern sealed bottom bracket for both of them. Can anyone recommend one?

One is an early 80s Raleigh Record Sprint, and the other is an early 90s Raleigh volant. I think the BB shell is the same size on both, but I haven't measured them so I guess you can never quite be sure.

Is there a standard kind to go for? I was reading a thread on here the other week about a Record Sprint and I'm sure someone recommended one, in the back of my mind it was something like a UA55. But I've searched the forum for that and can't find it, so that can't be right.

Re:

Oh, if it helps the Volant is a Reynolds 531 frame and the Record Sprint is a 501, the standard kind before they started doing the 'Aerospace Contour' tubing.

My plan is to have the Volant 531 frame sprayed black and put the gold anodised bits from the Record Sprint on it, thus creating a Raleigh Record Super Sprint... the bike Raleigh should have made but never did.

The donor Record Sprint frame will be built up as a starter road bike for my brother, who's just getting into cycling...

Re:

Shimano un55. Measure the spindle of the one you're replacing and order that size. English thread.

Re: Re:

DrewSavage":fa4z0nkv said:
My plan is to have the Volant 531 frame sprayed black and put the gold anodised bits from the Record Sprint on it, thus creating a Raleigh Record Super Sprint... the bike Raleigh should have made but never did.

I like you.

Tifosi & token offer good sealed Cartridge BB from 102 up to 118. Campag units are also good.

Re: Re:

AndyMart":16fgagbo said:
Shimano un55. Measure the spindle of the one you're replacing and order that size. English thread.

^ this. You're probably looking at 68 x 122mm IIRC Drew. Give me a shout if you've any issues, I'm local to you ;)

Back