Campagnolo Hub Conversion - 8 to 9/10 Speed.

Dale cannon

Senior Retro Guru
Has anyone done it?

I've got a couple of 9/10 speed hubs that are worn out. I've read various on-line bits saying it's possible but it seems a little unclear as to which hubs can be converted and using which bits.

I would like to hear from someone who's actually carried it our before I slash out on 8 speed hubs or wheels.

Thanks in advance.

Re:

Hello - to be clear, what are you trying to do - if you have 9 / 10 speed hubs that are worn out, why would you want to convert to 8s?

The 8s cassette will actually fit into a 9 / 10 / 11 hub with a spacer behind it, although it does need for the lockring to be done up TIGHT. Alternatively (and probably more wisely) you can use a 9s cassette with an 8s spacer kit in it, missing the biggest sprocket off ... this distributes the loads over the full depth of the splines, so although the cassette still needs to be locked down at 42 - 60 nm, it's less critical that it's super tight than would be the case with the (shallowe spline) 8s sprockets.

If you have an 8s Ti cassette, this won't fit any of the current hubs - the spline pattern is not compatible.

If you are looking at 8s hubs with the thought to convert to the 9 / 10 / 11s body, there used to be a kit made by Campagnolo to do this, with the cup-and-cone bearing steel axles but this is long since discontinued. We don't know of a way to do it that is robust in use.

Kind regards
Graeme

Re:

Yes, it can be done. No, I haven't done it (yet). There's a thread of mine somewhere with the details, but from memory, the only 9/10/11 speed hub body that will fit an 8 speed hub is the 9 speed one from 1995. I think that is the only year that had a 9 speed body with the thinner steel spindle. The year after they redesigned the spindle to the oversize aluminium version, so the freehub body was redesigned too and won't work on the 8 speed bodies (which only ever had the standard steel spindle)

hope that makes sense!

8 speed sprockets on a 9/10/11 body is not a good idea as they have very little engagement with the splines and can cut in quite badly. They will work though. Spacing out a 9 speed cassette is a better option.

Latest posts

Back