Concorde Aquila - or is it?

Wheelnut

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I recently acquired, quite by accident (in the sense that I wasn't looking for one), a Concorde Aquila frame and forks from a cycle jumble.

It has all the usual Concorde markings on the head lugs, bottom bracket, brake bridge and fork tops, and it has the race number bracket, internal cable routing and red/white/green Italian flag on the top tube as you would expect from an Aquila. It also has Concorde Decals including Concorde Aquila on the top tube and a Columbus SLX decal on the seat tube.

However, what confuses me is that that it appears to be in its original paint (I have started to strip it down for a repaint) and yet it is painted entirely in a greeny yellow (but black forks) with no evidence of any chrome beneath the paint. So it isn't a catalogue frame. Also, the tubing appears not to be SLX as I can't see any helical markings inside the tubes. It is a very large frame (63cm) and the bare frame weighs 2060g, which is pretty light for a frame of this size, so probably SL tubing.

The frame number on the frame or fork stem is absent, with no evidence that a previous number has been removed, so it clearly never had one. Finally, one clue is that it has the name Math Salden on the chain stay, presumably the rider. There is a Math Salden cycle shop in Limbricht, Holland.

So do I have an Aquila or is it something else?

Re:

Pictures help, as many details as you can. Math Salden probably sold your bike originally? You could ask them.

Re:

Agree some photos are required here to help solve this mystery. Aquilias were also made of TSX and made by a few framebuilders over the years so there are quite a few variations :D

Back