Chesini Precision Help

Boscarn

rBotM Winner
I am trying to date my Chesini Precision frame and any help would be gratefully received.
This is one of the best made frames I have ever seen, the quality of brazing is superb and I have not seen another will all the same fittings. It also is quite light weighing in at 2616g as shown in the photos.
I have restored the frame in Crystal White, similar to a pearlescent white, and I have filled the pantographed details with gold and black paint to match the decals. The excellent chrome work was done by Doug Taylor in Somerset.
Please have a look; your answers may have some influence on the running gear that I will build her up with.

Attachments

• chesini 1.jpg
    chesini 1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,073
  • chesini 4.jpg
    chesini 4.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,073
  • chesini 5.jpg
    chesini 5.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,072
  • chesini 7.jpg
    chesini 7.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,072
  • chesini 8.jpg
    chesini 8.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,072
  • chesini 9.jpg
    chesini 9.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,072
  • chesini 10.jpg
    chesini 10.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,073
Re:

Some more photos of the Bottom Bracket.

Attachments

• chesini 6.jpg
    chesini 6.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,070
  • chesini 3.jpg
    chesini 3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,070
  • chesini 2.jpg
    chesini 2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,070
Very classy. Love those forks :). Portacatena rear dropouts so around my era or just after.

Shaun

Robbied196":1elghgng said:
There is something about white. Even Ernesto is offering the new Arabesque in Pearl white... lovely :)

For those of us of a certain age.....the white bikes flashing around the Skol Six looked faster :)

Shaun

That's very classy & deserving of a Campagnolo 50th Anniversary Gruppo

Oooops Age, portacatena dropouts came with the 1977 catalogue and dropped off the radar 1984-5 as I guess stocks ran out. I'd put your frame at the end of that which is mid 80's ?

Shaun

Re:

Thanks for all the replies, as was pointed out the portacatena dropouts were used until the stock ran out sometime in the mid 80’s and the Cinelli BB fitted was not made until 1980.

Having looked at the Chesini catalogue, the 1983 precision came with internal brake cable guides and an aero fitting for the shifters.

Unless this was a special build, I think that it must be before 1983.

When did the first Campagnolo recessed allen bolt brakes first become available? I have a 1982 Freewheel catalogue and the Gran Compe Aero brakes were available the recessed allen bolts.

I could fit a 50th Anniversary group set, but will have to remove it from the Colnago Super Mexico. I do have some of my favourite bits from around that era, mostly super Record, Colbato brakes, 3ttt bars and stem, Cinelli Volare SLX saddle and some 28hole Mavic SSC (blue) rims.

Back