who makes modern off-the-peg steel frames nowadays?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
a friend is looking for a new frame, and is seriously thinking about steel. There are a couple of builders here in Spain, but the other day I said there were several options from the UK for off-the-peg steel frames that won't break the bank, and now I can only think of Genesis and Mason...

anyone know any others? Either custom that won't cost thousands, or off the peg at a decent quality and price?

There are the usual old time suspects like Bob Jackson, Mercian, Ellis Briggs, Woodrup etc along with more modern guys like Shand cycles here in Scotland and countless others.
Old style lugged and off the peg at a reasonable price you cannot go past Bob Jackson. better value than most and can be had for the same price as any massed produced 4130 frameset sold in most shops.
I personally find that some of the newer builders see it as some sort of boutique type endeavour and so charge well over the odds for a 531 style lugged steel frame, sometimes nearly three times the price of a £600 Jackson frame.

Jamie

Some good ideas there, I've heard of most of them but trying to think of them when I need to is hard! I think the total budget for the bike will be about 2000. A Campa group, probably Athena, wheels, and everything else needs to fit in there. So budget for frame and fork is probably around 800-1000 at most

£800-1000 ..... wouldn't someone like Kevin Winter be able to build to that budget if he didn't want a stock frame?

Shaun

Possibly Shaun, but I just don't know... I'll pass on all these ideas to my friend and let him have a good look at everything. I think he wants a modern frame, rather than a traditional style, but I'm not too sure to be honest.

Keep the ideas coming!

Shand do a really nice modern steel frame, as I am sure the others mentioned do, its just I seen one earlier this year and it was very nicely made. Maybe worth a look at their website. Not sure of address just now but just google Shand Cycles.

Best of luck with it.

Jamie

Latest posts

Back